Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so we've had our 2 rats for about 2 months now (from the pet shop).

I've been working on getting them used to being handled and it seems to be going ok with Rosie, she is getting more used to me and will climb onto my hand when I put it in the cage. Rita however is a different story! She has always been timid, but wont come near me when I put my hand in the cage, she will occasionally take a treat from between my finger and thumb if I put it close enough to where she hides for her to take it without coming out (I've tried doing this and slowly moving further away but she just doesnt come out).

The issue is, every time we try to get them out to clean them, Rita bites and runs away. Rosie isnt super comfortable being scooped up but will let us pick her up to put her in the pet carrier but we just end up following rita around the cage trying to get her as calmly as possible, before she inevitably turns round and bites us.

It's getting to the point that we are struggling to keep them clean because we dont want to stress Rita out (or be bitten) so are having to just clean as best possible with her in the cage.

Any advice on how to deal with this would be amazing!

TIA x

·
Registered
928 Posts
She has always been timid, but wont come near me when I put my hand in the cage, she will occasionally take a treat from between my finger and thumb if I put it close enough to where she hides for her to take it without coming out (I've tried doing this and slowly moving further away but she just doesnt come out).
Even before sticking your hand close to her, just show her that your presence only brings good things. Sit by her cage for awhile letting her get used to you, when you pass by her cage drop a few treats in so that eventually she'll learn that she can come out and nothing will happen. If she wont come out when your holding a treat, you can try to first put the treat down near her and move away, this way she will understand that you only mean to give her something positive and will do nothing else to her. If you see that she looks frozen and unresponsive towards you make sure to not approach her or pick her up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts