Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do rats teethe like puppies? Daisy is butting like a puppy. Everything she does consists of biting. Hard. She hurts us, she's chewing furniture, she's making her sister bleed. Nothing is aggressive. It reminds me of when I had puppies. She is biting everything she can. Even my delicate lady areas if she's walking on me. We tell her no and will squeal but it's not making a difference. I will even tap her on the nose a little to let her no it's not ok (nothing hard at all, just a wake up tap) she's only 3 months so I know she's a baby and will probably grow out of it. I've given her chewing to bite instead of our furniture which is working and I know I can get bitter Apple for that. I am more concerned about us. She's really starting to hurt and I know she's not trying to be mean. Any ideas to protect myself? She doesn't draw blood, but it still hurts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with a rowdy baby hurting her cagemates! They all snuggle and I'm pretty sure that she's just trying to play but she's just being so rough! She had been starting to nip at my fingers too hard as well. I tried telling her no and squeaking but it didn't seem to be helping. One night I was at my wits end and when she nipped me, I picked her up and turned her over in my hand to scritch at her belly and chin like I was power grooming to try and show her that I'm boss. This might not have been the best method(I haven't been able to find an abundance of information on how to deal with this aside from the suggestions you mentioned) but she was actually really chill about being handled that way and seems to have eased up on the nipping. Now when she does it, I put my hand over her and scritch/groom for a few seconds and it's been keeping her biting in check(with me at least).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I need to start doing this. She is really hurting is. She is not at all being aggressive to us but it still hurts. Poor Dahlia still has little blood marks on her tail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts