Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My male rat Monty is about 7 months old. He's started biting over the last couple of months, I've tried to wait it out before deciding to neuter him but he hasn't improved and I can't pick him up anymore, even if he's just sat on my lap he'll go for my fingers without any warning. If I'm not careful he'll draw blood and it's becoming a huge nuisance. I live in South London and I'm struggling to find somewhere that will neuter rats without having to pay a crazy amount of money (I've only found one and it was around 300quid which I can't afford). Does anyone know of anywhere I could look into?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Have a read of this list here, there are hopefully some near you, though it can be worth travelling for an experienced vet http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=401

For now I would recommend a pair of gloves and handling him firmly,if he goes to bite pick him up firmly and say "no", if he does it again repeat and hold for a few more seconds. If he does it a third time repeat then put him in a small empty carrier for a minute or two for a bit of time out. Dominant bucks do need you to act confident and in control with them more so than other rats, whilst neutering will help, combining it with the right handling will make a bigger difference.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
To expand than what's been said; rats are social animals and sometimes they tend to get confused about who's in charge. When a rat thinks it's in charge, sometimes it will get pushy and either nip and bite you when it doesn't feel it's getting its way or the respect it thinks it deserves. In a human household rats simply can't be in charge. To some degree this is a social problem more than a behavioral one.

I cover this situation in the immersion guide. Unfortunately sometimes it takes the more extreme form of immersion to correct this problem. Once a rat thinks it's the alpha, it's likely to resist change and any loss of status. Extreme immersion can become an unpleasant experience for both you and your rat, but you can't keep a biting rat in your house. This is a problem you need to address before you or someone else gets hurt.

We have fixed a lot of problem rats, but if your rat has been acting aggressively for a while, things are likely to get ugly before they get better. So do wear gloves or oven mitts and armor up before you give it a go. Remember you're not trying to beat your rat into submission or hurt him, you're just trying to communicate that you are the leader and you're not going to tolerate him pushing you around or biting you.

Best luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts