Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i have 2 boy rats toby and ben they are nearly a year old on 15 feb they be 1 year old
they are my first rats and i just got them a new cage for there birthday and new hammocks but one rat toby is fine and friendly but my other rat ben keeps biting he has bit me 4 times now hes so friendly when hes out and running around playing with me and hes brother but when he is in the cage he bites me because he dont want me to touch hes stuff can someone please help me
???

·
Registered
437 Posts
When he bites does he draw blood? Is it a long bite where it feels like he doesn't want to let go or is it a short sharp bite? Rats use their mouths to explore and test out their new surroundings if the biting doesn't hurt then he's most likely just getting to know you, if it's a short bite that feels hard but doesn't hurt too bad or draw any blood then it's probably a 'warning' bite. Rats do this when they're not comfortable with what you're doing but that doesn't mean you should stop doing it.

Since it's when your hand is in his cage then it could be cage aggression. Does his fur puff up when you reach into the cage? I had a rat who was cage aggressive. I got him neutered which helped a little but the biggest change was when i tried a tactic called 'immersion' theirs a sticky by rat daddy in the behaviour forum if you're interested. It's really helpful, not just for aggressive rats but for bonding with all of your rats.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for replying back
he bites and leaves go but draws blood but it hurts he runs off when he has bit me and looks at me

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's not 'training' so much as you and your rat coming to understand each other but it will make biting a thing of the past. All the info is in the thread, Rat Daddy can explain it better than i can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts