Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i new on here ( says ukmike but im lisa husband signed up ). I went and left a post on new members has i was confused to where i should post, Well i think ill start here lol. ( i think its the right forum )
Lets start,
We decided to get two rats has i adore them and had them when i was young. We thought now would be the best time has i have alot of time on my hands to give them alot of attention now kids at school.
We got them a week ago today from local pet store they are both females and now 11 weeks old.We set all the cage up with toys, food, water ect the day before getting them and introduced them the next day, They were both very scared and slept most of the time.
Gradually they began to come to the front of the cage to have a smell and look around at us all. I waited 2 days before i placed my hand to introduce myself and thats when it happened. The one rat the smallest of the pair actually flew at me and started biting my hand so i removed it. She followed my hand out the cage jumped around alot and just sat at the opening as if she was waiting for another go. I approached with caution and she did it again this time she drew blood. ( ouch) Now i waited for a bit till she moved away onto the next level in the cage and tried it with the other little girl who is slightly bigger and she was fine a sniff or to and went away and before i knew it the other rat came again for another bite. I left it at that for that day. All other attempts with the one rat has been the same so far. Any ideas . I offer food but my hand is what she wants .Hope there a solution .
Sorry for the long post.
Lisa :(

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sounds like shes just scared mine where like it to if you handle (well try) for 20mins every day they should become friendly and stop biting seems a little odd she does it all the time! And actualy drew blood my boys nipped never drew blood. Just keep trying is all i can say they will get used to your scent soon let them have a run around on your bed as well Good luck

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Maybe you can leave a T shirt that you have worn in their cage to let them get used to your scent. Put some yummy treats on it so they learn that your scent brings them good stuff. I had a little mouse like that and now she is my biggest fan, well a little smaller :) it too her three weeks and now she can't wait to climb on my hand, pulls herself up on a finger even.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wear gloves if you need to to get her used to being held. :)
That way when she bites it wont hurt, and you wont need to react. I believe that a lot of animals will bite because they want to get a reaction out of you. If they bite but you don't react then they realize there's no point to behaving that way anymore.

Also, be sure to offer her lots of treats and lovings to let her know that you want to be friends. ^^

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for getting back to me . I ve tried the glove with my fingers not quite in it and she has reacted the same so far. ( my fingers were safe the glove got a hole lol ) I have been putting treats in using the glove. I decided to put the glove in to get her used to it but she has made it part of her bed now full of holes. My husband has got me a pair of tougher gloves gonna give it another go today. Thanks will let you no the outcome.
lisa

·
Registered
184 Posts
lol, might just be she was mistreated at the pet store, that does happen from time to time sadly :(

but good luck with taming her ^^

·
Registered
3 Posts
ive had my rat for about a year now and yesturday my girlfriend bough a new younger one so my rat would have a buddy but my rats been grabing the younger rat and dragging it near her i dont know what she is doing and i just want to make sure shes not hurting her or like getting ready to chow down on some baby rat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts