Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this doesn't fall under intentional breeding talk, but I am genuinely curious.

I am well aware that berks can produce solids as well as hooded rats - however, I was wondering. Berks have those neat little interwoven white hairs, and on black berks it can be especially noticeable and lovely. In certain breeds of dog - schnauzers come to mind immediately - there is something called salt and pepper, which is black with white interlaced. Is it possible to create a line of salt and pepper rats, breeding for black Berkshires with more white interlacing, and weeding out the hooded rats/self rats?

Again, I have no intentions whatsoever, I was just curious.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, because don't huskies (/roans?) fade with time? They're also caused by different genetics, aren't they? I'm wondering if the berkshire gene itself could be used for something like this.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
i think your talking about silvering. This is where a rat (can be any marking or even self) has white hairs interspersed in there coat. It looks stunning in black but i do like it in any dark solid colour. It isn't so much a direct gene like say black or agouti, however you can select for it. overt here we have a show standard which calls for 50% of the guard hairs to be white. If you see a good show standard silvered it's a bit stunning. We get quite a lot of silvering in our lines, unfortunately it's hard to select for because it tends to show up at around 10 weeks (by which time all but your keepers have probably been homed) and it also fades with age.

It also causes problems if you breed other varieties. We breed for agouti and black (as well as a few Othery boys and bobs) and silvering on an agouti is a fault

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.