Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that black eyed rats have no reason to sway so I just thought that it was weird to see my girl, Katarina, (who I believe is black eyed) swaying. Maybe she is actually really dark ruby and I can't tell. I've posted pictures so you can try and decide cause I can't. My other idea was that she may be blind. She doesn't seem to respond to my hands unless I make a noise with them. So is she black eyed or ruby and also are fawn rats prone to being blind?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
She has Ruby eyes. All fawn rats have red/Ruby. So yep she is likely just normally swaying to see a bit better. It is unlikely that she is blind.

·
Registered
452 Posts
She looks ruby-eyed to me, especially in the photos with the flash on. I havent heard of any black eyed fawns, Im pretty sure the ruby eye gene is linked to the fawn color? My fawn boy is ruby eyed too, but maybe a little lighter than Katrina's.
I hope someone else more knowledgeable in rat colors and eyesight than me give you some good answers :)

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Black-ruby eyes are about the best of the rubies, most of these rats can see fairly well indoors and don't have the light sensitivity issues... but in my experience they can't see nearly as well as normal eyed rats. We've had two and neither one sways. But to be honest outdoors they have trouble navigating and the one we have now sticks right by us like glue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts