Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Nike has a black growth at the middle-ish/end of his tail.

It's hard and black, and can't be moved. He doesn't seem effected by it, but he does groom his tail on the bump and below.

I've been doing research and can't seem to find anything..

Does anyone know what this might be?

IMG_0817.JPG IMG_0818.JPG IMG_0819.JPG IMG_0820.JPG IMG_0821.JPG IMG_0822.JPG IMG_0823.JPG IMG_0824.JPG

·
Registered
952 Posts
Hmm I am interested to know as well. I know that abscess can occur on the tail but they are usually white and a little squishy like a zit.

·
Registered
680 Posts
When Buddy had something on his tail I ran across some info that suggested they could get fungal infections on thier tails. That looks like it could be some sort of fungus.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've Been wondering if it was cancer or fungal as well. There is seriously like absolutely nothing on the Internet about this.. I just hope it's my harming him...

·
Registered
952 Posts
Well if it isnt bothering your rat then I guess a bit more time cant hurt. Let us know what they say. This just has me stumped.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like a mole. Correction! I mean Beauty mark :) did it grow over night? Or slowly in time?
It grew slowly over time. Which I'm wondering, can rats get moles? That's honestly what I thought it was at first

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I haven't gone to the vet yet, but I was looking at Nike's tail tonight, and I noticed another is starting to form.. I can't get pics yet, cause you can't really see anything, I can only feel it.I'm pretty worried, but he's not affected by it, so I dot know if it's harmful. Hopefully I'll be going to the vet soon.. I'm just hoping he might know what it is.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I think they can get moles. Coming from someone who has randomly grows moles on my body, doctors thought I had skin cancer. Really, I'm just strange. Most of mine grow from places I've got cuts in the past. My cheek one grew randomly over time. The one near my eye and on my arm and leg and finger all came from places where I've taken a small chunk out of my skin. There is a story that everywhere you have a mole, is where you were stabbed in a past life! Anyway... Id take the rat to the vet incase it's cancer. Is the new growth on his tail too? If the rat is over all healthy, then maybe this rat and I somehow share blood from a past life!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think they can get moles. Coming from someone who has randomly grows moles on my body, doctors thought I had skin cancer. Really, I'm just strange. Most of mine grow from places I've got cuts in the past. My cheek one grew randomly over time. The one near my eye and on my arm and leg and finger all came from places where I've taken a small chunk out of my skin. There is a story that everywhere you have a mole, is where you were stabbed in a past life! Anyway... Id take the rat to the vet incase it's cancer. Is the new growth on his tail too? If the rat is over all healthy, then maybe this rat and I somehow share blood from a past life!
Hmmmmm Maybe? Hahha maybe you guys do XD

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hate to bump up this thread, but a lot of you were wondering what it was.

It's cancer.

There's nothing we can really do about it, but I'm going to be talking to the vet on monday..

I really hope it's not spreading..I'll try to keep you guys updated

1 - 20 of 24 Posts