Rat Forum banner

Blankets?

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Meghan 
#1 ·
I noticed on some of the pictures you guys have posted that you may use blankets to cover the floor and (if potty trained) you have bedding as their litter. What kind of fabric you use for the floor for that blanket?

#3 ·
haha I'm not going to use towels. Was curious about what fabric is the best when it comes to it. Considering the fact that I have two males who will end up marking territory every week I clean it. Didn't want a fabric that would horde the smell or w/e.

#6 ·
I use towels in my girls' cage, and it looks nice. Maybe I just have prettier towels than everyone else! :p

I am going to switch to fleece and maybe flannel (although I've heard rats tend to chew flannel more) once I get my FN. It is much softer, and it won't unravel in the washer like my pretty towels ^^;;

#7 ·
The only danger is that they may chew towels, and then they have places they can get stuck. If you use them you have to always check them to make sure their safe. I prefer fleece, it's a little more expensive but lasts much longer.

#9 ·
Mine did chew one of the towels, but only until they could get underneath it. To prevent further chewing, I just leave a little bit of room in one of the corners for them to get underneath if they want to hang out under there. No more chewing! The towels I use for them don't really have the loop things most towels have. I got them at a garage sale for $.10 each, and they're really soft and nice. (Garage sales are wonderful places to find rattie stuff for even cheaper than dollar/thrift stores!)

#12 ·
Has anyone tried making slip covers out of the material of your choice to cover the shelves? My FN is on its way here and I was thinking about making them with zippers around the outside so that there is no way to get under the fabric... I would also make them quite snug.

A definite downside would be that I couldn't hang things from the bottom of the shelves...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.