Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found several, quarter-sized spots of blood on the cage liners today. I couldn't find who it was coming from until just now when I picked up Emma. She's bleeding pretty significantly from her vaginal opening. I know it's probably pyometra, but I don't see any pus.

I already called my vet and asked to schedule a spay for tomorrow. That's soon enough, right? I have some Bactrim here, should I start her on it?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Re: Bleeding from vagina.

Could be a urinary tract infection, but vaginal bleeding is fairly serious as far as I know. Was she pregnant? I'm assuming no as you didn't mention it, but if so it could be miscarried pregnancy. Kidney problems and tumors also occasionally cause bleeding. I'd start her on it if I were you.

Check her belly for lumps and bumps, GENTLY as she may be in pain. Does she have any other symptoms?

Oh also, can you get an emergency vet? If not, tomorrow has to be the day. But if you CAN, I'd get her to an emergency vet ASAP.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I've only ever owned three rats, three females and one male who was neutered over a year before I got Emma. And he was recently PTS at age 3. So no, definitely not pregnant.

The E clinic here in town doesn't treat rats. She recently had a tumor removed from her lower abdomen, but it was outside of her body wall, and the incision has healed nicely. There's no sign of any other lumps. I'm fairly certain it's pyometra.

She's eating, drinking, and active. I already gave her a dose of Bactrim. I think she'll be fine until we can spay her tomorrow.

·
Registered
482 Posts

Sounds like you'll be good, hope everything turns out ok for her!

·
Registered
138 Posts

my girl did the same thing, she was acting just fine but she was bleeding from her vaginal area.

it took me two weeks to find a qualified vet and they ended up finding a calcified rat baby in her lol

I hope everything turns out okay, when in doubt...spay lol

Nikki >.<

·
Registered
234 Posts

If she's pregnant I don't like E-Spays. You're killing baby rats.
I understand how this is sometimes best.
Good you've started her on it, which should/might help..
Good l-luck with the spay.. x

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Once again, it's impossible for Emma to have been pregnant. The only male rat I ever owned was neutered at 6 months old, in July of 2005.

Emma was spayed this morning. Her uterus was very enlarged and misshapen, with a lot of blood inside but no pus. We're still not sure on what it was, exactly, but I opted not to have a biopsy done. I figure it's out and isn't causing problems anymore.

She's pretty stiff and painful, and is on pain meds and antibiotics. She isn't very happy with her staples, but they're staying put.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts