Rat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first time posting but this is very improtant I need some advice

on sunday I noticed my oldest girl Sweet Pea bleeding from her vaginal area.
So we took her to the animal hospital but we pretty much paid for an emergency visit for them to tell us to go somwhere else.

the next day we took her to her regular vet and they sugested taking her uterus out.

They started her on antibiotics and now I am noticing no bleeding so I figured it's an infection.

So the surgery was scheduled for tomorrow but I cancelled it and set up an appointment to put her on more antibiotics.

What I need to know is if I really do need the surgery...if the infection might come back...and how serious this might be.

She is acting fine...just as normal. Eating, drinking, chewing on everything as normal.

but this whole thing really freaked me out. I am a relatively new rat owner and I haven't lost one yet so you can see why I'm so worried.
I would love any advice you guys can give me.

thanks

Nikki >.<

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
It could very likely be Pyometra (basically an infection of the uterus, ending in it filling with pus) or (I don't know how common this is) genital mycoplasma (please tell me if I'm wrong, the latter is a guess).

Info on Pyo http://ratguide.com/health/reproductive/pyometra.php

How old is your girl? Many reccommend spaying them to avoid such infections. In girls, it can also lessen the likelihood of mammary and pituitary tumours later on in life.

I would keep a very close eye on her, watch for any swelling or discomfort in her abdomen and continue with the antibiotics. Maybe even consider spaying her anyway?

(And I sympathise with your experience with emegency vets - they do love their money, don't they?)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Infection is usually brought on by the mycoplasma residing in the uterus. I too recommend going with the spay since there are so many benefits :3

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I have seen rats that bled a little from their vaginal opening, and cleared up on baytril with no issues. You could just keep an eye on your girl for any further signs of trouble and then decide to have her spayed.

·
Registered
447 Posts
My rat is the same. I suggest the spay initially and then a course of baytril. Thats what my girl is on.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I've had her less than a year but she was mature when I got her. She and her cagemate were left in a box at petco and they gave her to us because I fell in love with her. So I don't know how old she is but she doesn't act like she is that old. I'd say about a year and a half.

My vet has never done a surgery on a rat so thats what worries me. The vet above her sounded confident (says it's just like doing a little dog)
I just don't want her to go through that if she doesn't need it and considering she might be a lot older than I think she is...

She is on Baytril right now...she's almost out but her next appointment is thursday. Hopefully I'll make my decision by then.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Adie09 said:
Well I've had her less than a year but she was mature when I got her. She and her cagemate were left in a box at petco and they gave her to us because I fell in love with her. So I don't know how old she is but she doesn't act like she is that old. I'd say about a year and a half.

My vet has never done a surgery on a rat so thats what worries me. The vet above her sounded confident (says it's just like doing a little dog)
I just don't want her to go through that if she doesn't need it and considering she might be a lot older than I think she is...

She is on Baytril right now...she's almost out but her next appointment is thursday. Hopefully I'll make my decision by then.
Do NOT take her to a vet who is not experienced in the surgery. You need an exotics/small animal vet who is experienced for this. It is not like doing a small dog. That type of thinking could end with a dead rat. It really upsets me when vets who have no experience with small animals choose to just "give it a whirl". It's not uncommon for them to think that they're not that different from the dogs and cats they normally work on. But that's wrong. Definitely find a good vet for this.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I second the above.

Effectively you are putting your rat's life in your vets hand. You want to ensure that your vet can give her the BEST possible care. Many vets generalise rat care into those of regular beasties, such a dogs and cats. The "I've done one, I can do them all" attitude is common. You need to make sure whether they've done this surgery before and if not, either a) ensure they know the correct procedure or b) find another vet.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well she said she's done this surgery on bunnies and ferrets...I don't know how to take that.

but my delema is that I live in quite a small town in texas so it's hard to find a vet that specializes in exotics. And this one does but they don't normally deal with rats I guess lol. But they have helped me in the past with all the upper respiratory infections.

They have told me there is one in....south lake I think. The vets at the emergency told me to go there because they specialize in exotics.
I haven't been there because it's pretty far from here. But if I need to I'll have to check it out.

I dunno I just have to deal with my resources lol

and this is why I cancelled the surgery...because I only wanted them to do it if it was abolutely nesessary. Because they are innexperienced.

right now she seems to be fine so I'm not in panic right now lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
If they've done ferrets and rabbits before, the only concern I would have in your situation is the size diff. from ferrets and rabbits, and the size of ratties... it would be alot easier to accidently hit the wrong spot on a rat, then a larger furry friend... do your master a favor and take her to an experianced vet ^^

·
Registered
323 Posts
.................................................................................................:), I hope your ratty gets better!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This morning she started to bleed again so i decided to get in contact with the people at Southlake....

the lady told me they were strictly emergency and they don't spay.

so I'm back to square one at deercreek. Her surgery is scheduled thursday.

I'm about to leave for the pet store to get some advice from the rat lady.
to see if she knows any animal hospitals or vets that are experienced that will do the surgery.

this is so frustrating ><

·
Registered
393 Posts
Adie09 said:
This morning she started to bleed again so i decided to get in contact with the people at Southlake....

the lady told me they were strictly emergency and they don't spay.

so I'm back to square one at deercreek. Her surgery is scheduled thursday.

I'm about to leave for the pet store to get some advice from the rat lady.
to see if she knows any animal hospitals or vets that are experienced that will do the surgery.

this is so frustrating ><

Have you checked the rat vet lists?:
http://www.petinfopackets.com/rats/rathealth.html#vetlists

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lilspaz68 said:
I am sorry Adie, yes it sounds like she needs the spay. How much blood is involved?
well when I found her bleeding a week ago there was quite a bit of blood...but that was the most. She spotted the next few days and by thursday she stopped. She started to bleed again yesterday and then stopped and I haven't seen any blood today.

I went to the pet store(this makes me so frustrated lol) and I asked my friend there and she said there is a vet tech that always comes in there and she works for a vet that has spayed all of her girls and affordably...but of course with my luck she hasn't been in for at least three months and there was no way of getting ahold of her.

She then referred us to a vet in town that specailizes in exotics and it says they see animals like turtles ferrets and even sugar gliders....which most vets around here wont even consider looking at a sugar glider. They weren't open today so we have to call tomorrow. Which is okay because I don't have school.

So keep your fingers crossed that they might have someone experienced enough...and keep us in your thoughts ^-^

Nikki >.<

I'll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay I tried the vet my friend at the pet store referred me too and she has experience with spaying rats and the surgery is scheduled this thursday

thank you everyone for your help!

-squeek-
<:3-)~

Nikki >.<

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Adie09 said:
okay I tried the vet my friend at the pet store referred me too and she has experience with spaying rats and the surgery is scheduled this thursday

thank you everyone for your help!

-squeek-
<:3-)~

Nikki >.<
Great newS!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts