Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night around 10:30 I was giving our guys some Cherrios and a small squabble broke out between Zeek and Buddy. It was brief and I broke it up immediately, but Buddy ran off which was unusual. When I checked on him there was a trail of blood up to their hammock. Turns out he had a small cut on his foot between his toes. The problem is that it would not stop bleeding. I held him in my lap for hours trying to put pressure on it and it just kept bleeding. It bled through countless paper towels and bled so much that it actually soaked through my T-Shirt. I started freaking out. I called every emerengy vet in the area and none saw rats. I then called my Dad, who is a big dog guy, and he recommened some powder they sell to stop bleeding. However at this point it's 1:00am so the only place in town still open is Wal-Mart. I went to both and neither one had it. Finally I did fins a Styptic stick at the pharmacy and then rushed home. Now it's 2:00am. While I was gone my wife continued to hold him and put pressure on it and apparenlty it stopped on it's own so the Sytptic stick was not needed. I ended up putting him in the travel cage and putting that next to the bed so I could check on him through the night and make sure he didn't reopen it and bleed to death. This morning he seems fine.

Why didn't it clot up faster? Could he be anemic? My Dad said that there is a genetic defect common to Dobermans where they do not clot properly and can bleed to death from seemingly minor wounds. Is there anything similar in rats? Or maybe there is some sort of main artery/vein in their feet that got hit and that's why it took so long to clot?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Blue rats don't clot as well. That's all I know. Cornstarch works in these sotuations

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried corn starch, didn't seem to work.

When you say blue rats do you mean Russian Blue? Or the color blue? Buddy is a whitish/tan color with dark ruby eyes but I have no idea what breed he is. We got him at PetSmart. Are most pet store rats Russian Blue?

·
Registered
158 Posts
If it was in between his toes it could have nicked or popped a blood vessel. This happened to one of my boys about 4 months ago. It was right about his toenail, and I thought his nail was going to fall off. I sanitized his travel cage, and put some clean paper towels in it. Then I dipped it in cornstarch every 15 minutes until I was positive the bleeding stopped. How did you apply the cornstarch? That might have been why the bleeding didn't stop. I would suggest getting a small Tupperware container or bowl and pouring the cornstarch deep enough to engulf a ratty paw, than dip the entire foot in for a good 5 seconds. Glad he's doing okay now.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a little bowl we had, like something you'd use for a dipping sauce at a resturant, filled it with the corn starch and then kept dipping his paw in it. But at that point he had been bleeding for two hours and I was a little frantic. I had already called every vet ER within 40 miles of my house and none would look at a rat. I was on the phone with my Dad and he suggested the corn starch. But I was juggling phone, rat and corn starch so I might not have been doing that great of a job. Plus I was expecting it to be more instant. Maybe that's what ultimately worked and why it stopped while I was out looking for that other stuff and my wife was holing him.

·
Registered
952 Posts
It can take a few dips to get it to stop bleeding. Blue rats are a color not a breed. I think there is Russian blue, american blue, lilac and several other "blue" colors that have a problem with bleeding. Corn starch or flour is what Ii would recommend

·
Registered
335 Posts
How scary! I'm glad he's ok now. But I know exactly how you were feeling because we had our own little rat accident last night too and I was so scared, I was shaking all over. My post about our incident is under the one titled: PSA- Chewed Hammocks Can Cause Injuries. I'm happy to say that my girl was fine this morning too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts