Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I took my rat to the vet and they did surgery on her to remove a tumor.

She is now at home with my boyfriend. I guess she keeps licking her wound and getting blood everywhere.

For all you veteran rat owners, any suggestions? :(

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Liquid bandaid actually stings very badly so don't use that unless you really have to.

How much is she bleeding? Did they give you pain meds? If not you can go out and buy OTC products that will help with pain and inflammation. Where was the surgery. Is the incision all closed up? What did they use to close the incision? They always use internal dissolvable stitches but then it can be surgical glue and external stitches or staples of just the glue by itself externally. If the wound is open a bit but the inside stitching is holding its not too bad, although it can be scary.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
rattikins said:
A1APassion said:
super glue
How about elaborating on your advice - this left as is could prove dangerous :x
Well no, not really... if you don't know how to close a wound then it is best left to the professionals. If you do know how to close a wound then glue is fairly self explanatory & it may be something that was not considered while dealing with the stress brought on by caring for an injured beloved pet. I don't want to toss out too many detailed suggestions of medical care because I have no idea what the ability is of the person reading my explanations. I believe that it is in the best interest of the animal to be treated by those who are educated about their care & not by someone who may clumsily fudge their way through something because they read it online somewhere. This is where that fine line comes into "can you do it" & "should you do it" comes into play.

Seeing that this rat is already under medical care... contact the vet, tell them what was told to us here & tell them it was suggested that the wound be glued shut since the animal is messing around with the stitches. The vet should see the rat & take care of this at no additional charge since this is related to the previous surgery... ethically any post operative procedures & visits should be addressed at no additional cost. But again, who knows what this vet's practice is... all of this is something to consider when dealing with medical professionals.

Sorry if this comes across as blunt but there are just some things that cannot be considered as do-it-yourself home fixes if you don't have the experience or basic skills to tackle.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Returning to the vet to have them re-close the wound, and then giving pain meds, as suggested by lilspaz68, is what I'd do. When rats mess with their post-op wounds, it is most often because of pain. If you take care of the pain, you've taken care of the problem in most cases. You can use infant Tylenol, or the vet may prescribe Metcam for pain.

Re-closing the wound and not addressing the root of the problem (pain) won't do anything but cause the same problem over again.

Also, using vet wrap so restrict movement, or in the worst of cases, a fashioned e-collar if all else fails. But try to control the pain, first. It works more often than not.

For reference... It's happened that well-intentioned rat owners used super glue and ended up with a rat who's genitals were sealed with glue, which only made a small problem much larger. I, personally, don't recommend such a risk. Let the vet do their job. Surgical glue, from what I understand, is much preferred to super glue.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Kimmiekins said:
For reference... It's happened that well-intentioned rat owners used super glue and ended up with a rat who's genitals were sealed with glue, which only made a small problem much larger.
Ouch XS

I've always been had my rats glued up with cuts and scrapes (including poor Luke's jublies, after having them scratched open! Sorry gents - I sympathised greatly) and its proved incredibly effective - especially if applied by a medical professional (note: the term 'medical professional' is used lightly - we've all experienced 'those' vets). Superglue can be used, as I've been told by my vet, but he has suggested I use it in an emergency only.

If you can, take your rat back to the vet, chances are (if they're a good vet) they should charge no extra for post-op care. Ask for the glue, pain meds or any other alternatives. That's what I'd do. Sometimes messing around with it yourself can cause added complications

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh wow, I got so many responses. I had my boyfriend pick her up from the vet that day. I was at work and he told me she was chewing/scratching at it and getting a little blood out of it and so I got really worried and posted this. He told me something to the effect of "I think she realizes now that doing that is a bad idea!" So she stopped messing with it and when he picked me up that day, it looked fine. So now she's with me at work. She's very clean and calm and very loving. I hope she isn't in any pain. She usually isn't that luvy. She's sleeping right now.

The wound is on her side and was stitched up with some thick blue threading... is it supposed to disintegrate? I don't know anything about ratty stitches haha. They didn't say anything about bringing her back. So, I guess that's okay. Also, I get what you meant about do-it-yourself stuff. I am too scared to do really anything with my animals, I'd rather leave it up to licensed professionals!!

I'm very optimistic about her recovery.. she seems just fine. :)

Thanks to all of you who posted your thoughts. Thank you thank you thank you (^-^)

·
Registered
357 Posts
A1APassion said:
rattikins said:
A1APassion said:
super glue
How about elaborating on your advice - this left as is could prove dangerous :x
Well no, not really... if you don't know how to close a wound then it is best left to the professionals.

Actually, then technically by your own admission, you did NOT give enough information.

If you believe that only a professional should provide them with care, writing "super glue" would indicate that you are giving advice on how to treat them at home - with super glue.

Had you written "only a professional veterinarian should care for your rats" THEN your statement would hold true, but given what you wrote, you not only gave advice that appears to direct one to take matters into their own hands, but you did not even give detailed enough advice to help them through that process, however inappropriate it might be.

If she knew what she was doing, then she wouldn't have asked for help the way she did and "super glue" would not be enough of an answer. You should have simply said "leave it to a vet"

So - in the future, you should give detailed answers and not act as though you meant a huge statement when in reality you wrote two words, two words which clearly can only be perceived as advice on how to do it at home, NOT directing them to get professional help.

:roll:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts