Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got nailed by one of my little boys after a bath, there was no squeaking and non of my other boys made a fuss and he's been biting my mum for no real reason either. He got me really good this time and bit hard enough to make me bleed quite badly. Can anyone offer some advice please I need to be able to wash my rats but I can't look after a rat that's continuously biting my family every time I wash him or the cage. I also have a little niece coming to stay as well as my brother and his girlfriend and if he bits any of them he will have to be given away of worse and I like the little fluff butt dearly.

Thank you
Draugr

·
Registered
219 Posts
Why do you bathe your rats so often ? I'm assuming they are sick or elderly?
He only bites after baths?
It's likely either behavior related to taking a bath and hating it, or perhaps he is hormonal and needs a neuter. How old is he?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you bathe your rats so often ? I'm assuming they are sick or elderly?
He only bites after baths?
It's likely either behavior related to taking a bath and hating it, or perhaps he is hormonal and needs a neuter. How old is he?
I'm the sick one actually I'm taking a medication that lowers my immune system so I need to keep them extra clean and the cage to

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well rats are incredibly clean on their own. You may want to discuss this further with your doctor. Cages are of course dirty, but rats themselves are very clean.
If you must bathe your rats, you may have better luck with neutering the first fellow. Otherwise just try to make it as calm and comfortable as you can. Since there is no other information, I am assuming he is only upset after bathing. You can try giving him treats and talking to him calmly with praise while the bath occurs. Be sure sure to keep him warm, too.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Have you tried baby wipes in lieu of baths?

Try reinforcing that bath time is good and biting is bad. Treats for bath time with a skritch and good boy, boop his nose for biting with a firm NO.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I also take a medication that lowers my immune system. But yes, rats generally keep themselves very clean and the way I decide if they need a bath is by if they smell or not lol which happens about every 3 weeks. if they are bathed too often it is bad for their skin. But i understand trying to keep healthy. What I use though is a waterless shampoo to bathe them so it's not as much of an ordeal. It's a foam shampoo and yes it gets them wet but then you just have to dry it off with a towel instead of rinsing it. I don't even have to leave my bedroom so it's pretty nice. They still don't like it but it's not as scary. I got it from walmart if you would like to try it. The water and everything might be really scary for your rat cuz he is blind. i would imagine it would be cuz it's already pretty scary for a seeing rat. He prob doesn't feel safe. He might feel more safe with the waterless kind cuz he could just be in your lap and only has to get a little wet. It's worth a try. It was only like 3 or 4 bucks too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts