Rat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Winter Snow, Dovahkiin (Dova/Dragon), Nibbles, Dumbo. All 3 month old rats
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for rats to get bloated suddenly? So, to explain I got 4 female rats from the pet store, they are 3 months old. The pet store had JUST gotten all their rats from the breeder like two days beforei picked them up. I've had these 4 girls for about 2 weeks now, and all of them have gotten bigger in size sense i had them (growth spirt). But yesterday, i noticed that Dovahkiin has gained a belly on her. You can see it bulging slightly from each side when you look at her back. And it feels hard, like a pregnant tummy. I know what pregnant guinea pigs feel like, and she feels like that. Now, she has been eating a lot more over the past couple of days. I put her in the play pin and checked her poop, and she is having extremely healthy poops. And she's even still playing with the others like normal. Her behavior has not changed what so ever. So i have no idea what could be going on. I've only ever owned male rats... any advice or similar experiences would help greatly. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I've noticed her drinking extra water, as well as eating extra food

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is it normal for rats to get bloated suddenly? So, to explain I got 4 female rats from the pet store, they are 3 months old. The pet store had JUST gotten all their rats from the breeder like two days beforei picked them up. I've had these 4 girls for about 2 weeks now, and all of them have gotten bigger in size sense i had them (growth spirt). But yesterday, i noticed that Dovahkiin has gained a belly on her. You can see it bulging slightly from each side when you look at her back. And it feels hard, like a pregnant tummy. I know what pregnant guinea pigs feel like, and she feels like that. Now, she has been eating a lot more over the past couple of days. I put her in the play pin and checked her poop, and she is having extremely healthy poops. And she's even still playing with the others like normal. Her behavior has not changed what so ever. So i have no idea what could be going on. I've only ever owned male rats... any advice or similar experiences would help greatly. Thanks!
Hi there,
I would say to be prepared for her to have babies in case she does.
Seeing as your rats are from a pet store they could have been housed with males or sometimes mistakes can happen with sexing.
These links might help...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you

·
Registered
129 Posts
This sounds like you might be dealing with pregnancy. You'll want a separate cage to house her and her babies in. Give her extra healthy treats like kale, broccoli, and eggs.
If you could, can you send photos of her?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Her tummy feels like a water balloon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it possible that all 4 of your rats are pregnant?
I don't think so. Non of them feel like her tummy. The other 4 are from a different litter. Because the other four are white/white and tan. Dovah is Silver. She keeps on sniffing her tummy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She is double the size of when i first posted. But i do not see any nipples yet...

·
Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
438 Posts
Have you noticed any pregnant type behaviors yet?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts