Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for the gross content of this post, but I was wondering if anyone could help us. My 9 month old male rat has been bleeding on and off for the last 10 days or so from his penis, bright red blood, and it sometimes stains his bedding. He went to the emergency vet 10 days ago and they took an X-ray to look for stones but couldn’t see any. They gave him two UTI medicines (Sulfamethoxa/Trimethoprim and Meloxicam) for the week, but it doesn’t seem like it made a difference at all. Because on Friday he had a penis plug with blood on it. And today, the same thing happened. This bloody plugs came from the side of his penis, like they were stuck in the skin folds or something. Again, sorry for the graphic details. I hope the vet can figure out what’s wrong but I wanted to see if the rat community might be familiar with this occurrence. Thank you so much in advance.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hi there, wish I could help but I have no experience with this situation. Hoping someone else here will jump in with some advice.

Reactions: Havarti

·
Registered
692 Posts
So not being a vet or an expert on rat physiology ..... if the rat has an ongoing UTI, that could possibly be the cause of the blood. In humans, I would be concerned the infection had spread beyond the urinary tract and was possibly in the kidneys ....so I strongly urge you to to check in with your vet and tell them what is going on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, yeah, he went to the emergency vet last week and his normal vet yesterday and they couldn’t find out what’s wrong. He wasn’t actively bleeding when they saw him, he usually only bleeds a tiny bit so it’s hard to spot. But he got X-rays and was sedated and checked for tumors and they couldn’t find anything. It might be his organs but idk how they’d be able to tell. They said it’s not a UTI and not infections, even though the ER gave him uti meds just in case I guess.
So not being a vet or an expert on rat physiology ..... if the rat has an ongoing UTI, that could possibly be the cause of the blood. In humans, I would be concerned the infection had spread beyond the urinary tract and was possibly in the kidneys ....so I strongly urge you to to check in with your vet and tell them what is going on.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you can, get a sample of the blood directly off his penis. You can put the sample in the fridge and bring it to the vet for testing. I'm not a vet and I don't know if this would actually help.
Has the vet checked for injury if the penis? Maybe you're rat accidentally injured it and keeps opening the wound.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you can, get a sample of the blood directly off his penis. You can put the sample in the fridge and bring it to the vet for testing. I'm not a vet and I don't know if this would actually help.
Has the vet checked for injury if the penis? Maybe you're rat accidentally injured it and keeps opening the wound.
Thanks for responding! I did give them one of the bloody plugs and I guess they couldn’t do any testing on it? When he was sedated, his whole prepuce was extended and check for infection and injuries and none were seen. It’s maybe something coming from organs or an invisible tumor? Idk

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hopefully he's ok then. I would just keep a close eye on him for a week or so and log anything you think might be important or different, just in case he has to go back to the vet. Pics too if you can.

·
Registered
852 Posts
At this point I would wait and see. If he's normal in everything else, eating, drinking, playing and sleeping, then give it time. Sometimes that's all they need :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At this point I would wait and see. If he's normal in everything else, eating, drinking, playing and sleeping, then give it time. Sometimes that's all they need :)
Update: there’s been no changes, really. If anything, he’s getting worse 😢. There’s usually a little dried blood in his bedding in the morning and every couple days I see a bloody plug around his prepuce. He’s acting happy, but I’ve recently caught him eating cardboard and paper. He wasn’t just shredding it like he usually does, he was picking it up and chewing and swallowing. I think rats do this sometimes when they are not feeling great. I’ve taken all the boxes away, but all their bedding is paper and I’m trying to stop him from eating it the best I can. Sigh. Our vet is keeping tabs and trying to pool her resources, but everyone seems to be stumped.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm also sorry. I have no idea what it could be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts