Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my rat has been showing signs of blood on himself i dont know how it is getting there. The other day i saw that 3 of his toenails were ripped off and bleeding. How does that happen? I have another rat that is in the same cage and he does not have any marks on him. Also he has been getting blood just under his nose its dryed out most of the time and theres alot of it. Im not sure if its blood, is it some sort of mucus?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Do you have any towels in the cage? I had an older rat break a paw thanks to a slightly frayed towel.

The blood under the nose isn't really blood at all. It's called pophrin, and is mucus. Rodents get a red tint to it, which can be rather alarming at first. If you have them on pine or cedar that could be the cause, it could also be a an upper respiratory infectioon, which would require vet care.

How old are your rats? We need pictures!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I do have a sheet so he might of got hooked ill have to replace that with something else.

Yeh I reserched after i posted this and found that out. It looks pretty bad so i will have to take him to the vet its like his nose is runny but its red and its drying up.

He is almost 1 year old and i dont have any pictures of his nose but i can send a pic on both my rats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts