Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is Little Boys eye. I have no idea what happened, and it seems to be filling with blood as time goes by. It is almost completely red now. He doesn't notice it at all and his eye is still responsive, I'm just so worried and freaking out

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's gotten worse since I posted this. His entire is is now red and bulging slightly. It looks terrible. He's on daily meds and eye drops

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
These tend to go one of two ways. They generally get worse then deflate and go back to normal size but likley with little or no sight in the eye, or they can get even bigger and rupture then dry out abs shrink to virtually nothing. If this happens then it's usually best to get the eye removed to prevent infection. The rat is generally pretty unaffected by it but it tends to freak us humans out.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
i should add that you've got the right treatment there so you are doing everything you can. If it gets really big so he can't closer his eye lids then a blob of vasalene on the eye surface can stop it from drying out (which is incidentally what vets do when animals are knocked out in a certain way which keeps there eyes open).

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The vet told me that it looks like his eye has ruptured. His eye now looks like a goopy red mess like someone popped it or something

1 - 6 of 6 Posts