Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I noticed Buddy had a bit of blood on his lower jaw. At least I'm pretty sure it was blood, it was bright red like I'd expect my blood to look when soaked up with a white tissue. (Buddy is almost white in color) I checked him for injuries, and Tempy, and found none. I tried cleaning it up as best I could and it looked like there might have been a scratch on his lip so I let him go, but I couldn't tell for sure. But then I checked it a bit later, after he cleaned it, and it's gone. So the blood must have been coming from inside his mouth. Is he coughing up blood? Is it his teeth? Does he have an cut in his mouth?

I'm not sure if it's related but lately he's been sorta lethargic and really jumpy. Like he'll jerk, like he's starteled, all the time for no apparent reason. Sometimes it's just from me touching him, sometimes from a noise, sometimes it seems like for no reason at all.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was just holding him for a bit and he fell asleep in my lap, that's really unusual. He normally can't hold still. The hold time he was doing the jerk thing randomly, so I think he might be coughing or hiccuping. I decided to guve him some anti-biotics just in case. I'll do it for a few days and if he doesn't improve I'll take him to the vet. Or if he seems worse tomorrow I'll take him anyway. Buddy is my favorite it breaks my heart to think he might be sick.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And looking again there might be a tiny cut on his lip that was the cause of the blood. I honestly can't say for sure because he wont hold still long enough for me to look. :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
t

It might be that he's either coughing up blood or he's bleeding from his esophagus or stomach, though the later I think are less probable since rats don't vomit.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I first noticed it right after a squable with his cage mate, so maybe he just caught a toenail. I'm going to keep an eye on him. If I see any more blood I'm going to the vet immediately.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked again this morning and I'm 90% sure there is a small scratch on his lower lip, so I think that's where the blood came from. It was right after him and Tempy were wrestling so I'm guessing he caught a nail to the lip.

He's still doing the weird jerk thing though and I'm having a tough time getting him to take the antibiotics. Tempy will eat a piece of bread I soaked in them, but buddy chews on it and then spits out little pieces. I tried mixing it with yogurt and he wouldn't even lick it. I mixed it with a bit of jam and he took some, but not all of it. I tried soaking it on a piece of cereal and he ate about 1/2 of that. It must taste bad so I need to find something to mask the taste so he'll actually take it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Try to mix a little in his water
No dont do that because you cant control how much he is taking. Sometimes you just have to push it down their throats. Antibiotics taste nasty. You can try a bit of honey mixed with a few drops of water and the antibiotic to get him to take it. I put mine in an infant syringe (no needle obviously) that came with the infant ib profan. The honey is usually sweet enough to cover up the taste. The jerking kind of worries me. Dean did that alot before he passed. He may have an internal injury however.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've found a combo that works. I tiny bit of Cream of Wheat, the meds and a bit of black berry jam. He eats it right up. I tried just the jam and just the cream of wheat, mixed with meds, and he rejected both, but the combo seems to work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts