Rat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today that there was some blood on the bottom level on my rat Nicodemus' cage.. so I took him out and looked and three's blood by his.. privates. Is it urine or is he doing something to make it bleed?

Is there something I can do to help him and does this require a vet.. most likely but if there's a home remedy I can dot hat works that'd help too.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Seperate him out into a smaller cage with light colored towels or paper towels as bedding. When he wees, you will be able to see if it is in his urine or not.

Check over all your other rats though, the blood may be from someone else.

How old is your rat? If he's old enough (or just a lazy cleaner :p), he may have a penis plug. Have you checked out his bits to see if they are red, swollen, or anything odd? Extract his penis from the sheath and check it out.

If there is blood in his urine, or anything else odd, I wouldn't wait to get him to a vet. If it's a bladder or UTI infection bad enough to cause bleeding, it needs to be taken care of asap.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Does Nico live with Starr? Is it possible she clawed him? If there's no visible wound, I'd worry about infections and such.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
It could be a UTI(urinary tract infection) or a penis plug. If he's obese, old, or not feeling well enough to clean himself it might be a penis plug. You'll have to check.
YOu have to push on either side of the penis or even the top and bottom and kind of winkle the penis out. If there's a waxy plug it needs to be removed. They are painful and can cause real problems and even death if not treated. Penis plugs can cause UTI's as well.

Here is my lovely neutered boy Dilly being my model to give you an idea how to check for a penis plug.

·
Registered
224 Posts
lilspaz68 said:
Here is my lovely neutered boy Dilly being my model to give you an idea how to check for a penis plug.

Ozzy says -

Sorry, I couldn't help it! :lol:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hm, alright I'll check for that, which is going to be fun since he hates being held like that. If it's a UTI is there anything I can give him to help him out... cranberries maybe? I'm not sure, so if I'm wrong let me know! lol

And LOL at that pic of Ozzy. :p

Edit, just checked, no plug that I can see. It came up just fine.. so UTI possibly?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
As far as UTIs go with animals, there is no home remedy - they need antibiotics as soon as possible. Cranberries, even for humans, are just a mild preventative - they don't really do anything for UTIs once you have one.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeppers, vets are the way to go. And it's good to know if it's something bad too. Better sooner then later!

I didn't know that cranberries weren't helpful after the fact though! Learn something new everyday. ^^

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forensic said:
Does Nico live with Starr? Is it possible she clawed him? If there's no visible wound, I'd worry about infections and such.
I'm so sorry I missed your post! I can't multi task like I used to anymore..

No, they live separate. He's a little to "hump" happy and I don't want babies. LOL

I let them play together once in awhile, but it hasn't been as of late. I'm always checking into him and his cage and I just noticed this today. They haven't been near each other besides in their cages in about a week.

Night said:
As far as UTIs go with animals, there is no home remedy - they need antibiotics as soon as possible. Cranberries, even for humans, are just a mild preventative - they don't really do anything for UTIs once you have one.
Alright, I'll be making a vet visit soon here.

Ugh, I'm having bad luck. Starr has to go back to the vet because her respiratory infection is back, so now that's both rats ill. 8O

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Are either rats speutered? Letting intact animals play together is a really, really bad idea. Not to mention irresponsible :(

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Night said:
Are either rats speutered? Letting intact animals play together is a really, really bad idea. Not to mention irresponsible :(
I am sitting there when they are playing. I don't run off somewhere even for a minute. I know when Nico is getting ready to hump, his does this wiggle.. so that's my cue to snatch him up and back to the cage he goes.

Unless he can impregnate her while she's the one chasing him around to play and being jumped on and licked by her, and while I'm playing with them, I don't see babies anytime soon.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
All it will take is one time without him giving any warning and you'll have a ltiter...

·
Registered
224 Posts
They need to have same sex cagemates to sleep and play with. :) It's not very fair to keep single rats of opposite genders.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wasn't considering getting another rat, when I got Starr.. she was a rescue. Unplanned. Otherwise if it was out of personal decision for expansion, I would have gotten another male.

I do know rats are social creatures, which is why I would have gotten one out of expansion anyway. I still stand by my decision to let them play as I am watching them and interacting with them nearly every second.

The concern is understandable, though.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I think you'll find that decision will get quite the chilly response, Neroticax.

No matter how social the ratties are, you're putting them at risk. You are only human and you may not be quick enough that ONE time. And then you'll have as many as TWENTY more rats. With all associated food, time, and vet bills inherent. And heavens forbid if there are complications. Then you could lose Star as well, or the babies, and imagine the heartache that would come with that, knowing that all that suffering was due to your negligence...

Is Star's cage big enough for another girl? Same for Nico? Would solve the problem of loneliness without litters....

·
Registered
224 Posts
I didn't say anything about them playing together once in a blue moon. Other people pretty much already expressed my opinion on that matter.

I said that they need cagemates. So, whether you planned on expanding or not, now you have 2 rats and need 4. That's going to be considerable expansion right there. And that's not my opinion. You said you already know rats are social creatures, I would assume that's what you plan on doing anyway.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do plan on it, but I would rather not put myself into debt at the moment.

And honestly I'm not looking for people to like me on here, so other peoples opinions are just that, theirs.

And if it happens, you know what? It happens and I'll deal with it then. I do not see them depressed, they don't sulk, and I know many other people on other boards I am on that understand my situation and explain that as long as they aren't alone forever, and are content, things are fine.

Everyone is going t have their own opinion, everyone is going to think their opinion should over value others, which is fine. You will not see me arguing either, I'd rather not lower myself.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I didn't see anyone arguing. This is a forum, so you are going to get opinions. That's the whole point.

Personally, I think your attitude of "oh well, if she gets pregnant, no worries" is irresponsible are moronic. The blatant disregard you are showing for the health and wellbeing of your 'pets' is astounding to me.

It pretty much falls out of the range of 'opinion' when your actions directly put your animals in situations they shouldn't be in. I'm astounded that you think this qualifies as responsible and approprate behavior.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts