Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother-in-law has a pet rat that has bloody urine!! Is it serious? Is it catchy?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention something, and it really bugs me...the rat they own is kept outside, due to mites, which I highly recommended them NOT to do, but that woman he's married to thinks she's "So right" all the time, that she wasn't going to have it any other way (poor thing). I wonder if that could help??

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Kept outside? The poor thing! If it has mites, it needs treatment. If it doesn't, and it's outside, it probably will get them.

If the rat has bloody urine it needs to see a vet.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I daren't comment regarding keeping a domestic rat outside - but I don't think it would be the most accommodating of environments.

And the blood in the urine could be a urinary tract infection, bladder crystals and (rarely) a bladder tumour. Or, these are the most common causes I've found.

That rat will need the attention of a vet, asap. It can't be comfortable for him and these conditions can be painful

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm glad you agree with me on some of those things, the outside issue for one. I mean, the poor thing shouldn't be thrown out like that, just because of something like mites. As for me, I try keeping them warm and happy, as well as comfy and energetic. I tried making sense with her, but it's like talking to a brick wall...I kind of wish I could take him back, but we don't have any spare cages.... :(

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Make a cage! Use mesh cubes! At this point an aquarium is preferable!

That rat needs ivermectin paste for the mites, and meds for the UTI. These are all easy fixes...why are people like that with their animals????

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot, I'll let her know ASAP. As for what you've said, I'm going to print it out, to definately show that stubborn woman that she's wrong to do such a thing. We do not have extra money for mesh to take it back, as we are expecting a human baby, and those cost even more than equipment for pets and their health, as well. So far, though, we've been lucky with OUR rats that no illness are about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts