Rat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Are all rats supposed to boggle? I've never seen my two do it! They're hapy chappies, always bruxing and running about, but they've never boggled :(

What a lovely boggley rat! She obviously loves you!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'm not sure if all rats boggle. I've only seen one of mine do it and only twice (Baileys really likes a fan blowing right in his face! :lol: )

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont know either if all rats boggle...It kinda reminds me of when you find your dogs favorite itchy spot, lol. Out of all my girls shes the one who does it most.

·
Registered
527 Posts
that's so cute!! <3

i don't think all rats boggle...different rats show their happiness in different ways. my ratty Baby bruxes a lot but i haven't seen her boggle, while Vegas often boggles when she gets around to bruxing.

although i think anything rats do to show happiness is super adorable. xD

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
aw! that's adorable. i love the bogglers. sookie will boogle if you carry her in a pouch and scratch the top of her head, otherwise, no go.

but was that a zipper on the hammock? i've never seen that before. what's it do?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes it was a zipper. All four sides zip up to make the hammock turn into something that resembles a tee pee with a whole for the entrance way. You can change it around however you like though.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
cool. that's neat.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I am pretty sure that the muscles used for bruxing in the jaw are attached by the eye and at the end of a bruxing they boggle.

Then they stop and start again. :) Its soo sweet, and I warn newbies that "No, your rats eyes will not pop out..." :roll:

Yep...badly worded from me but here's the description from ratbehavior.org

Eye-boggle (eyeboggle, boggle): Eyeball vibrates rapidly in and out of the socket. Occurs during high-intensity bruxing (soft, repetitive grinding of the incisors). The rat's masseter muscle, which passes through the eye socket behind the eyeball, moves the jaw rapidly up and down during bruxing. When bruxing is intense, the contractions of the masseter vibrate the eye in and out of the socket in time with the incisor grinding. Usually considered to indicate pleasure and contentment.

Boggling is always a good sign, whereas some bruxing is stress/fear/pain related. :)

·
Registered
981 Posts
Well boggling is what the video shows, and also is what lilspaz described.

Bruxing is when a rat gnaws their teeth together to create a form of grinding noise. It usually indicates they are happy, though not necessarily.

Actually lilspaz described that too. Just look at the post above yours :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Aww, great video! I love boggling ratties. :)

BTW, I have that same hammock! :wink:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i need to actually go out and get another one of those hammocks. They had for close to year and are just now really starting to love it. Figure I better get another one before they destroy this one. Its nice to be able to re arrange it so many different ways.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts