Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that blue rats that are poorly bred can have problems with health and aggression. I'm curious to know if people here who have had blue rats from sources other than reputable breeders have noticed problems with health and temperament.

I ask because I'm looking to take in another blue rat that has cage aggression issues - she has bit and drawn blood. She was a pet store dump when still very young, and the aggression would explain why.

I'm probably going to take her no matter what, but I would like to know what I'm getting myself into. Any experiences or thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
that is ANY poorly bred rat, regardless of color.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I've heard that blue rats that are poorly bred can have problems with health and aggression
Any rat that is poorly bred can have issues with health and temperament. Being blue (or any color) has nothing to do with it. Good responsible breeders should be breeding for better health and temperaments in their lines.

I have a blue rat & many Russian Blues as I breed them. They are all very lovely.

Without knowing her history she could come from very bad breeding with horrible temperament, which if so will make it nearly impossible to make much difference in her. She could also just have never been handled and have fear issues which require alot of patience but is possible to help. She could just be territorial or the people handling her before could just have not been great.

Taking on an aggressive rat is a real challenge. Not everyone has the patience to do so. I think you have to be honest and ask yourself if you really want to deal with that. Perhaps getting seriously bit? If she never comes around? Do u have the patience to work with her daily and slowly? If things go bad will u still keep her? I think that may be the most important thing. because it isn't fair to her to be passed around to different homes.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info. I picked her up tonight and she seems like a friendly, outgoing rat with no fear of anything! Then again, she had dried blood on her feet from when she bit the other girl. Apparently she only bites when you go to open her cage - she bites through the bars.

Since I've had her home she hasn't bitten or acted aggressive in the slightest. I've had her cage door open the whole time. We'll see how the next few days go.

She's a lot smaller than I thought - looks to be about 8 weeks old at the most.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
People probably fed her through the bars, and that is how she started to bite through the bars. Also as a pet store rat, she most likely was abused. Looks like you are doing great. Keep us updated:)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I posted a bit about her in the Meet My Rat section. I agree she was probably fed through the bars. I also found out she was antagonized through the bars by a lab puppy :( Anyway she's not biting anymore, and it didn't take very much training to reform her. In fact I just hand-fed her a piece of Oxbow RR, and when she took the food her teeth touched my thumb, but she didn't bite through. She's definitely getting it :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts