Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was gone for a week and when I came back my hairless rat, Scorpius, looks dreadful! They were being fed and loved on, but this person isn't with my rats enough to know when one is in distress.

Symptoms..
1. Tip of tail is blue, looks pale in general
2. Labored Breathing
3. Dramatic Weight Loss

What do I do ;-; Right now I'm trying to warm him up, he's cuddled up against my side with a blanket.

Edit: Taking him to an Emergency Vet, he doesn't look good at all. I'm afraid he's just going to deteriorate.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would definitely advise taking your rattie to the vet. Blue is generally a sign that they aren't getting enough air, especially when coupled with laboured breathing. Weight loss is also a major red flag for something serious.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Upon arrival they immediately put him in an oxygen tank. The vet told him his lungs sound rough and recommended xrays. Unfortunately I could not afford the xrays or over night care. So they could only suggest that he has a respiratory inspection, pneumonia, or cancer, but from the way she was talking.. pneumonia was high on the list. Since I could not afford the above, option two is to assume he has an infection and treat him with antibiotics at home. Because money is an issue I went with Option 2.

Good news, he's survived the night and did eat a little but I could not get him to drink. I do plan on taking him to a vet he has seen before to see if they have affordable options or payment plans. His breathing is still labored but not as bad as it was and he did get some sleep. I can tell he's exhausted, but he's fighter and as long as he wants to fight and I'll do the best I can to help him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts