Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on Monday, I was holding Silent Bob and I noticed that she had a tiny little lump on her side. It hasn't gotten bigger, but it hasn't gone away, either. My boyfriend thinks that it might just be a little scab from getting in a scuffle with the other girls- do you have any advice on how I would know if it's something serious?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
It'll be easier to tell if it's a scab if you wet the area slightly and poke about wee bit. When the fur's wet it'll be easier to see the skin.

If you can't see any scabs and the lump is below the skin, you probably won't be able to get a definative answer without seeing a vet. The 'best' type of tumours you can hope for are usually slow growing (although benign and malignant tumours can also grow very fast) and can be manipulated within the skin. Mammary tumours usually form just below the skin.

Can you feel all the way around the lump? If it moves with the skin and you can feel all round it, it usually means it's not attached to anything vital - therefore can be removed.

It might also be an abcess (sp?) These are usually squishy but can be hard too (I know that doesn't help) and can be treated using a course of antibiotics.

To find out exactly what you're dealing with, I'd check with your vet. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts