Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some bonding and handling tips.

I just got two new boys (in addition to my older 4 month old rats) and I need advice on bonding for all of them. I don't have any issues with behavior or anything (they have never tried to bite or anything). I just need advice for idea on how to bond better with them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Do you mean you’d like tips on bonding them together or bonding them with you?

Because for intros, I always recommend the carrier method because I find it to be safest and quickest at bonding the new and old rats together.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I’d recommend liquid treats then. Meat baby food to be specific.

In my experience, just about every rat is OBSESSED with meat baby food, and they will do just about anything for it. Assuming that you can already handle the rats, I recommend combing the two (and even if they dislike handling, combining it with meat baby food is a great way to make it a more positive experience).

Basically, pick up the rat, then feed meat baby food of your fingers. (As a note, be sure to feed the meat baby food off a metal spoon first, to teach the rats to lick it up instead of biting it.) You can also work on lure them into your hand to eat it, or pairing touch with it.

The way I’ve always tamed and bonded with my rats has been outside the cage in a safe space, so you could also try that. I have a small and large cardboard playpen I build to free-range my rats, as my room is unsafe for them to roam around in. While taming, I set up my smallest playpen (just larger than me sitting cross legged), take my rats out, then sit in the empty playpen with either a blanket or hoody on. I also bring sling meat baby food to help cement this area as a good experience.

This way, the rats get to explore the area and learn to treat me as a safe spot. I’ll also practice scooping up the rats, giving them a lick of meat baby food, then immediately letting them go. This way they learn that being picked up leads to good things, and not to scary things like being restrained for long periods of time.

After my rats learn to tolerate and then enjoy handling, I switch to the large playpen. I add lots of toys and hides, and essentially just let the rats explore. After a while, they’ll end up near me again, at which point I’ll offer some treats. And after that, the rest is just repetition to accustomthem to my routine.

I’m also a big advocate of training small pets, and I train my rats daily. Spin, fetch, agility, weave walking, you name it! They love to train, and it’s a good way to bond with the less human oriented rats (and basically any rat in general). Each rat learns to communicate with me better, and overall they learn to trust that being around me and the play area is safe and fun!

·
Registered
Fefe she’s a rat
27 Posts
I’d recommend liquid treats then. Meat baby food to be specific.

In my experience, just about every rat is OBSESSED with meat baby food, and they will do just about anything for it. Assuming that you can already handle the rats, I recommend combing the two (and even if they dislike handling, combining it with meat baby food is a great way to make it a more positive experience).

Basically, pick up the rat, then feed meat baby food of your fingers. (As a note, be sure to feed the meat baby food off a metal spoon first, to teach the rats to lick it up instead of biting it.) You can also work on lure them into your hand to eat it, or pairing touch with it.

The way I’ve always tamed and bonded with my rats has been outside the cage in a safe space, so you could also try that. I have a small and large cardboard playpen I build to free-range my rats, as my room is unsafe for them to roam around in. While taming, I set up my smallest playpen (just larger than me sitting cross legged), take my rats out, then sit in the empty playpen with either a blanket or hoody on. I also bring sling meat baby food to help cement this area as a good experience.

This way, the rats get to explore the area and learn to treat me as a safe spot. I’ll also practice scooping up the rats, giving them a lick of meat baby food, then immediately letting them go. This way they learn that being picked up leads to good things, and not to scary things like being restrained for long periods of time.

After my rats learn to tolerate and then enjoy handling, I switch to the large playpen. I add lots of toys and hides, and essentially just let the rats explore. After a while, they’ll end up near me again, at which point I’ll offer some treats. And after that, the rest is just repetition to accustomthem to my routine.

I’m also a big advocate of training small pets, and I train my rats daily. Spin, fetch, agility, weave walking, you name it! They love to train, and it’s a good way to bond with the less human oriented rats (and basically any rat in general). Each rat learns to communicate with me better, and overall they learn to trust that being around me and the play area is safe and fun!
Hey I’m really interested in bonding/training my pet rat Fefe. I love the idea for bonding u described above. Do you have and tips for training? Fefe is an older rat I’m assuming. I don’t know much about her to be honest. I think she may be pregnant

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi I’m a having trouble with bonding with one of my rats his name is dewie he’s a red eyed Siamese mix and always avoids me only come out for treats but when I try to pet just leans away or shoves with his nose for me to go away but both of his brothers are super friendly little dudes berry is a dwarf and is a baby so he’s the size of a mouse and figgy is a lot bigger than berry but is a double Rex and is a sweet boy and my 3 other rats are sweet big chunks who’s birthdays are coming soon July 1 yaya 1 year old rattie rats kinda worrying tho what I’m say is the are al sweet chunks and I really want dewie to be a sweet chunk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts