Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have two new rats. Both 8 months old. One male, one female. The male is pretty shy and won't let me even get near him. I offered him food from my hand at first, but he wouldn't take it. Then I tried to intice him with a toy, but he wouldn't take it until I put it down in the cage. I even tried treats, but he just smells them and then hides. I suspect it'll still take more time, but I wanted to see if anyone had any bonding tips for new rats. C:

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well first, are they spayed/neutered? otherwise seperate them quick!
that cage doesn't look very big...

·
Registered
15 Posts
This sounds odd but I always put yogurt all over my hand and lay it in the cage an let them lick it off. This teaches them not o fear your hand but rather see it as the hand that offers sweets and builds trust. Plus a rat will hardly ever bite the hand tat feeds. If you ever do get a nibble don't freak out and yell at them. Instead try making a squeak (Kiss) noise loudly because it sounds like a rat saying "Hey! I give up! that hurts!". It's also very important to hold your rats and let them play out of t cage on neutral ground for at least an hour everyday. Always reward good behavior!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts