Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. Sabrina and I have gotten really close. She'll ride around on my shoulder, eat treats out of my hand, lick me, and cuddle in my lap. But I haven't really bonded with Kiki much because she doesn't sit still very much. She seems to be a lot more independent than Sabrina and just wants to explore everything, and if I try to hold her, I just end up getting scratched. Should I just continue with the trust training or is there anything I can do to bond with her more?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Both of my girls were not eager to settle when I first got them. My advice, take it or leave it, I have only had them for three months or so, is cover the couch with a sheet or blanket you dont want anymore, and let em run around with you while you watch tv or a movie. Keep treats nearby. Pet them when they are on you, and let them run if they want. Have bits and pieces or toys laying about so they can wander and explore and eventually they will tire a bit and go for the scritches and then most likely they will hop back up and play again. Females won't sit still for long I read, and have discovered personally. Just how they seem to be, but my bigger one, once she's in the mood for being petting she will sit for ages. It may be age, it may be personality, or it just may be that they are more interested in running around. They more time they have to play each day the more likely they will stop every now and then for cuddling and scritches I find. My two cents!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both of my girls were not eager to settle when I first got them. My advice, take it or leave it, I have only had them for three months or so, is cover the couch with a sheet or blanket you dont want anymore, and let em run around with you while you watch tv or a movie. Keep treats nearby. Pet them when they are on you, and let them run if they want. Have bits and pieces or toys laying about so they can wander and explore and eventually they will tire a bit and go for the scritches and then most likely they will hop back up and play again. Females won't sit still for long I read, and have discovered personally. Just how they seem to be, but my bigger one, once she's in the mood for being petting she will sit for ages. It may be age, it may be personality, or it just may be that they are more interested in running around. They more time they have to play each day the more likely they will stop every now and then for cuddling and scritches I find. My two cents!
Tried this and Kiki climbed inside my sofa through a hole I didn't even know existed. After that, she wouldn't sit still or come to me for a good 20 minutes. Not even when I offered her strawberries or cookies.

·
Registered
870 Posts
When sitting on any piece of furniture that has cushions with a rat, it is best to cover it with a sheet or blanket to prevent them getting inside the furniture. Make sure to drape the blanket/sheet to cover the arms and make the spaces between the cushions inaccessible to them. Also check the blanket/sheet after each session to be sure they haven't started making holes that would enable their escape. Like others, I learned this the hard way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Another thing you could try is one on one sessions in the tub. I did this the first few days as well. It kind of forces them to interact. They cant go anywhere except on you. Same thing as the couch, lots of treats, lots of patience.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. Thanks for all the advice the guys. Gonna have to try to have a bonding session with Kiki soon because she is none too happy with me this morning. I'll remember to cover the couch and keep a close eye on all possible escape routes, but for now I'm just hoping I can convince her not to take another chunk out of my fingers. Hopefully, treats and yogurt will get her to stop being mad at me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts