Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they are almost 7 and 8 weeks old. 2 boy. i really just need help to bond with them.
want anymore info about them ask. or even about me

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do they react towards you?
they come to the cage when im there. they are generally just friendly. some timed a little scared. ive been putting my hand in there cage and letting them investigate. putting them in my hoodie. teddy (almost 7 week old) was really relaxed but now a little shy. rambo hes warmed up more. ive hand fed them some of their dry food.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sounds like your doing well so far with them and that they are warming up to you, its normal for new rats to be a little frightened since they are in a new environment with new people and new smells. I'd say in addition to what your doing you can find a small, empty space like a bed, bathroom, or bathtub, and make sure there are no hiding spots, then let your rats roam around while rewarding them every time they come close to you or on you, you can also wear a hoodie while doing this so they can climb inside your sweater to hide which will have them associate you as a safe place. While you do this it can also be very good to train your rats some easy tricks like come or spin, for your rat to do a trick it requires it to 1: pay attention to you 2: not be overwhelmed 3: pay attention to the trick instead of feeling afraid. Another thing you can do is lure your rats out of their cage onto you and give plenty of yummy treats to them once they are on you, once they are comfortable and not skittish place them back in the cage and close the door, this gives the rats time to calm down in case they were overwhelmed and it teaches them to want to come out of the cage and be with you since it had to go into the cage when it was getting good things out of the cage. Eventually lure them out again and repeat. As you do this exercise you want to see your rats becoming excited to come out of their cage each time you put them back, a little grooming is fine, running around their cage is a good sign, but if you see them hiding in a box or a corner then that's a sign you should go more slowly. Lastly, the two ways to give treats is either giving a licking treat on your hands which will get the rat to associate you and your skin as a good thing while it also forces the rat to stay where you are instead of running and hiding with the food, or you can give tiny bits of treats which will force the rat to keep coming back for more and will more likely start eating closer to you since it will finish quickly.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions or problems feel free to post them, I would love updates on how things go with you guys, good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts