Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can rats eat bones...I was eating dinner last night and my rats crackerjack and billy stole my pork chop and eat it happily and I took the bones when they were done but Im curious can they eat the pork chop bones????

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yes rats can eat bones. It doesn't hurt them in the least. My only advice would be to make sure they don't get the bones of something fried as that might be a little too fatty for them.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My boys were very happy to get the remains of a few BBQ ribs :) not an all the time thing, but once in a while its ok

·
Registered
219 Posts
My rats LOVE chicken bones. They wont left a bit. I don´t have to worry about their weight, because they are still a little bit thin.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
my rat love bones. they don't get them as often as they used to but come christmas i'm stocking up. the only thing to worry about is if you give them too much they may develop a protein reaction which makes them itch. its curred by giving them less protein if that does happen though it takes a while for the itch to go away. they can be fattening too if you give too much all the time

·
Registered
48 Posts
aw great thread my rats had some chicken left over from my last sunday roast but I made sure I took it all off the bones cause I was worried about them choking, Il give them some nice big bones next time....They do love chewing on pedigree denta sticks though :D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
My mother laughed at me when I kept the Thanksgiving carcass for the boys... :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, never mind a single bone. Get the whole carcass in the cage :p

·
Registered
549 Posts
Forensic said:
My mother laughed at me when I kept the Thanksgiving carcass for the boys... :lol:
That must have been so much fun!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
They had a BLAST. I did break it up into small sections though, since their was still some meat on it and it was WAY too much for only six boys.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
though this makes me shudder a bit, I'm sad that I'll never have bones for my ratties (ya know being a vegetarian and all) but I think I can take some home from Christmas......I think my family will think I'm either

a. falling off the veggie wagon

or

b. completely bonkers

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
pork chop bones would be just fine to offer them. i don't much like pig meats so we don't have it in the house, otherwise i would give them that too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We had a work luncheon and I brought home lots of rib bones. My rats love them. I froze half for a later time

·
Registered
343 Posts
You should NEVER give your rats chicken or poultry bones as they can splinter very easily and can severely damage either their throat or digestive tract.

Pork and beef bones are supposed to be ok as they have a tighter grain, but DEFINATELY not poultry

Just thought id better mention it as it was in one of my rat care books and it seems alot of you are giving chicken bones to your rats.
Even if none of you have had problems so far I dont think itd be worth the risk just incase !

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
the rat care book was wrong then. the way rats chew is different then a dog's. for a dog, it is true the poultry bones are dangerous. dogs crunch them and that can cause splintering. rats don't crunch though, then gnaw at it and grind it down. splinters are not a problem this way. poultry bones are fine for rats.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I've given my girls chicken bones, they had a great time, and I never noticed any splintering or splinters, just gnawing like Twitch said.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts