Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

As many of you know, the main "playroom" that is owned by my two ratties was once my "bathroom." Now it has been rat-proofed. They are nice enough to let me use a little bit of cabinet space, and to go in there to take showers, and brush my teeth, and do the things I need to do, but they do have a piece of paper, stating that it belongs to them. :)

I like to visit and be social with them in there, but sometimes, if I feel like I need a rest, and they still want to play, I let them run around by themselves for short intervals.

I mean...What Can Possibly Happen, Right???

:lol:

Well, here's what can happen!

I came back into their playroom, to play with them, and Gus is in his drawer, but Boo is nowhere to be found.

I hear this rattling sound from behind me, near where the toilet is, so I start looking around. Behind the magazine rack. Behind the toilet. Up by the kleenex. (We always close the lid on the toilet, so it's safe.) However, a closed toilet lid makes a ~perfect~ walkway to...

...the trash can! Now usually, the trash can is no place that a rat could go, since an empty or nearly-empty trash can would be quite a fall at that distance. However, JUST THIS ONCE, the trash can was pretty full. Boo painted last night, so there were canvas wrappings, and paper plates with different colored paint on them, plus the usual kleenex boxes, and tissues, and what have you.

So, I take a very close look at our (white) trash can, and I realize that it has whiskers! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I scooped Boo out of there...from the looks of things, he'd been having a great time...and said, "What are you doing in the trash can? Are you trying to throw yourself out?" ;)

He was so darling, and I just knew that Gus was going to try to get to the trash can as soon as he could, so, of course, I removed it from the room. But Boo certainly had an adventure, tonight!

Y'know...ratties are like one long film that is part comedy, and part love story. :D

The moral, I guess, is, if you think you may have lost your rat, be sure to check in the trash cans. They could be trying a well-orchestrated ratty escape!

·
Registered
941 Posts
lol...thats funny...My boys ALWAYS jump in my trash can in my room...I dont know why though?...(The only thing that is ever in there is paper.)

·
Registered
520 Posts
There is a website that recommends making them their own "trash can" with crumpled paper and boxes and whatnot!

·
Registered
192 Posts
LTNG, she is a jumper... and now we prepare for that when she is out by moving things out of jumping distance (although she hits the back of my chair a bunch when she is out and I am on the computer, and after a couple falls, she has learned exactly how to jump and grab the arm of the chair from behind, but that is another story).

Well, my wife was cleaning the cages and had the bag of old shavings on the floor next to the rat range area (the couch with several blankets to cover it), well my wife turned around and then heard a swoosh, turned around, and no Little Tiny Naked Guy to be found... but a few more seconds and the rattling of the plastic bag gave away her location... she had jumped right into the bag of old shavings and was enjoying making a mess of things. That was when we knew that we had to keep an eye on that one especially.

Tubes, she chews, and you can turn around and you will see a pulsating lump under the blanket... that would be her, after chewing yet another hole in the top layer. It has become such a joke now that we just duct tape the holes. It is a "ratty" blanket for sure... but we cannot let her penetrate all the layers. She only did this once, and now I have two small holes in my suede couch, patched lovingly by my wife with needle and thread. The females are basically impossible to leave to themselves.

The males don't jump, nor chew, they just like to get onto my chair when I am not sitting in it. I am ok with that, they do not damage anything, I always keep a black towel over the leather anyhow since I do not like the feeling of the cold leather on my skin. The females are high maintenance... hehe...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts