Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the book on Kindle, its not for rat fans really. They seem a touch villainous in this rather then being portrayed as completely neutral. He says it in the first chapter, that its not about domesticated rats, for science or pets, these are wild rats and they are not shown in a positive light. I know there are fans of wild rats on this forum. If your interested in the history of wild rats and people side by side (especially in NYC) then check it out. The writing is decent enough. I picked it up on sale for .99. Its interesting but not very, I haven't finished it yet. I its the same guy who is doing that documentary soon. http://www.ibtimes.com/rats-movie-b...bert-sullivans-bestselling-vermin-big-1681522. I'd say watch the doc when it comes out and if you like the tone, pick up the book.

I did like.
http://www.amazon.com/Story-Rats-Th...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1426724909&sr=1-1

While not shying away from the fact wild rats are pests there is a tone of respect. It also covers domesticated rats, both pets and for science. I can't remember if this was the book that made me mad (i can't go back to it, it was a library book) because it made rat owners all seem like Gothic weirdos or other wise steeped in counter culture. It may have been another book. I'd like to think I'm a well adjusted adult and my reason for getting rats wasn't to "fight the system" or just because I want to project to the world I'm weird. Though my boyfriend did try to scare away some door to door missionaries with them, and complain they shouldn't hate because we are all God's creatures. I got mad at him for that.

That being said, the author did come up with the marterial for the book after trying to kill a bunch of rats for a community. Also I'm sure lots of books are going to have to change now that the gerbil that carried the black death.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input, Mball77. I may check both of those books. I appreciate the recommendation!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts