Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When ever I take my two older rats out all they do is sleep and don't interact with me. Do you think that they are extremely bored or that they are just old. They are 2 and they the pair has a SCN with two hammocks two huts and some apple wood sticks. Also they come to say hi when they are in their cage, but not out. If you do think that they are bored what can i do to entertain them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have you considered getting them some toys for when they are out of the cage too? I got a big rat ball and my girls love to zoom around my room in it. I don't have the luxury of having free roaming space, I live in a single room that has too many places for them to run off to, and two doors that lead into locked storage cupboards I can't open, both with a sizeable gap under the doors, so the rat ball is ideal. Maybe they're just comfortable and find being with you relaxing?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm sure someone with more experience will give you a more definitive answer, but I wouldn't have thought it was boredom. 2 years is old age for rats and you would expect them to slow down. Also, males tend to be far more chilled out and "cuddly" than females so that might play a part if it's boys that you have. You haven't said if they were they different when they were younger, or have they always been like this?

I haven't owned rats long enough yet to have any "old" rats, so I might be blowing smoke out my bum, lol!

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think it's because they're 2 now and have slowed down. If they aren't interested in toys perhaps give them more things to snuggle and sleep in.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I mostly just cuddle with them which is what i wanted when i first got rats. I just wanted to make sure that they werent depressed

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would definitely vote old age as well, even when I do free range in my tiny bathroom with no added toys, my girls zoom around and find anything and everything to get into, so I think it's hard for them to be bored when out haha! If you do think it could be boredom, maybe make one of the toilet paper roll pinatas and give it to them while they're out, that's my go-to boredom buster!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts