Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my little babies are about to turn 6 weeks old and they are not enjoying free time at all...

Before when they were littler I played with them in a playpen and they would hang out on my shoulder most of the time which I let them because it was cute and made me feel all loved :)

Now though I am letting them play and explore in the bathroom and they have shown zero interest in exploring or doing anything other then sitting on my shoulders. Where they go to sleep lol Lazy little bums.

They have already scratched my legs all up trying to scale up my pants leg because they freaked out being on the floor lol. I put them on the floor then run away before they can get to me thinking it would force them to run around but instead they just all cuddled up and laid together.

They just are not interested in having free time. IDK what to do. I keep trying but it doesn't seem very fun for them. I wonder if it is because the floor smells like cats?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
with young rats, especially from difficult backgrounds like pet shops. You need to stay small worth free range areas. This is because wide open spaces that don't smell of rat are actualy quite scary. If you start in a sofa or table top and give then a few different items to get used to, alternating every few days then you encourage them to get used to new things. From there try a smaller floor space or room maybe putting down some of the familiar toys. If you work up to things they will soon be racing around

·
Registered
953 Posts
Do yours have their Mom or other adults with them? I separated shortly after 4 weeks because I was paranoid of accidental pregnancy's (perhaps overly so). The boys do great on my bed, however they stick very close to the humans with only a little wandering around. The girls however have their Mum and Aunts and they are totally crazy in the bathroom. They explore everything. But they have the older rats there to show them it's all ok. The boys hate the bathroom, they just go in my shirt and that is that.

Oddly enough, the girls are the less likely to be clinging to the door for attention, they may or may not want to come out of the cage. The boys are always all at the door when we go by and want out, but it's mostly to hang out with humans, not to just get out. The boys are content to sit on our shoulders while we do household stuff. The girls on the other hand don't seem nearly as hip on that. I think it's cause they have the adult rats to hang out with. Though the girls interact with us and will climb us and jump our hands and what not while out, it's obvious they are taking queue from the adult rats. Because the adults are more secure with running around in open spaces, I think the girls feel ok about it too.

The boys don't have any adult rats to follow only us, so I don't think it's quite the same and it seems we need to take it a lot slower with them as far as large spaces. On the other hand, the boys are way more snuggly and love kisses and hugs. Love opening their cage and having 8 boys run up my arms and snuggle against my neck, push into my hand for more pets ect.

·
Registered
46 Posts
one of my ratties loves chasing things- scraps of cloth, toys, my hand! she "wrests" these things to the ground, then drags them off to her stash. she loves exploring whatever room she's in, climbing up everything she can find, even climbing up me. i play with her in a small room, so she has to be close to me at all times, it's done wonders for making her tamer :) perhaps you could try some games like that? then again, my other rat is quite laid-back, all she wants to do it climb around in my jumper and find a cosy place to sleep! they are both 6 weeks old. it really depends on the rat's personality, IMO. but i think one-on-one playtime, if you have the time for it, is more entertaining for them :)

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I only have girls left, the boys were rehomed. And the girls are with their mom. The boys were actually much more playful and adventurous being seperate lol The girls will hang on the cage but mostly to beg for cheerios rather then attention or to get out I swear little piggies.

I like the idea of trying one on one playtime. I could then try a smaller space without worrying about losing them too. 6 rats are hard to keep an eye on!

Ill keep trying and see how it goes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine are terrified of the bathroom. Its a big scary place and you need to cuddle up to someone you trust. Mine now love going in the bath with me and I always have a blanket that smells of them. Start off small :). They will get there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.