Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked up Borris Mats at IKEA. I don't have an ikea but I do have a friend that frequently visits her daughter and they go to an ikea. So, I can actually get them without having to pay the outrageous shipping cost. Currently, I use the Uhaul mats with success. But, my girls are starting to chew them. The Uhaul mats are $12 and my Uhaul location will not sell the old mats. So, I was looking for an alternative and read about the Borris mats. Wow! They are cheap! I have a few questions:1. Are they absorbent? The website only says they are polypropylene with a latex backing.2. How many is needed for a SCN?3. Do your rats chew them up?4. Do you cover them with fleece?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had to do some hunting, but I found the pictures I posted of my mats:
http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?255305-IKEA-Borris-Mats&p=1783929&viewfull=1#post1783929

They are absorbent on the top. The bottom is not, and if some urine gets underneath, it can be gross.

I use six for my DCN, so you should do fine with three for your SCN. You'll want a second set so you can just swap them out and clean your mats at your leisure. For $1 apiece, having a second or even a third set would be a good investment. My rats chew on the edges some, but it's not horrible. They come in spurts. Some cleaning days I have a small pile of remnants to vacuum up, while other cleaning days are fine. We've thrown one mat out in the 8 months we've had them, but there are honestly a couple more that could be tossed.

When we manage to make to IKEA next, we'll probably just get 12 new mats and throw all of our originals away. Eight months with our girls and washing machine on hot have made these very pliable and ratty. I can't complain too much.

I don't use fleece on ours.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts