Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen and heard several rattie owners rave about the Borris mats from Ikea. I currently use towels under my fleece on my DCN shelves, but my rats tend to burrow under the fleece and chew up the towels like CRAZY and I'm getting really tired of constantly buying new towels. I was wondering if the Borris mats might be a better (and more durable) option that they are less likely to chew and beat up in a week's time.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My Borris mats definitely were more durable than fleece... however, I noticed that they started to smell much quicker... Then again, I have 7 rats and no time for twice weekly cleanings and washings.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've had the same 15 Borris mats for over 6 months now. They are a bit ragged around the edges. I'm glad that they aren't chewed upon as frequently as fleece. And at $1 per mat, I'm pretty good with that investment. We're contemplating an IKEA trip for a bathroom shelving unit anyway, so I predict we'll replace all of our mats

Our mats probably would last longer if we took the time to hand wash them. I've heard people doing vinegar baths or something similar. With our schedule, we just throw the mats in the washer at hot water. We replace the six on a weekly basis, so you can imagine how many washings these have gone through. The washing makes them more pliant, which makes it easier for the rats to pull up and chew on.

Still, it's convenient, and it only costs $6 to place mats in the entire DCN. They still are in good shape even if they are far more flexible and a bit ratty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts