Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing with Clover, our fat rat, and I noticed her bottom teeth looking longer than they used to. She still bruxes, and she's eating normally, but it almost looks like her mouth isn't closing all the way. I tried getting a photo, but she's like a child - Perfectly still up until you point a camera at her. There are chew toys in the cage, but they don't appear to ever be used by either she or Pan. Any ideas?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I give my boys dry pasta, it's really crunchy and seems good for their teeth, but I don't know if that's necessarily true or not. Some rats are particular about what they'll chew on, maybe try new types of wood or lava rock for her to chew on. If they get super long, unfortunately you'd need to go get them clipped at the vet, or else she won't be able to eat. Bottom teeth are much longer than the top ones anyway, so keep that in mind; they're supposed to be longer.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You could also try cardboard straws! They have them at any party supply store or craft shop. My girls love ripping them to shreds and it helps their teeth a little too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm. Well I've got wood, lava rock, and this loofah stick type things in the cage, but the only interest Clover and Pan seem to have with any of these is in burying them. Ill try the pasta and the cardboard though. Don't rats naturally try to keep their teeth at a manageable length? I REALLY don't want to take her to have them filed, that just sounds dreadful...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts