Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i recently got my first ever males rats. I've had females for years but I've heard males are generally more cuddly so I wanted to try males. anyway currently the boys live in my bedroom and the girls my living room but I was wondering if they have no possible way of going from cage to cage is it safe for me to be able to put the two cages in the same room? having the boys in the bedroom isn't ideal and I sort of want to move them to near the girls cage but not if it'd cause issues.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
It is fine. I keep my males and females in the same room. Make 100% sure that no one can get out. Be careful during free range time, they will want to check out one another and may bite toes through the bars.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think it depends on the boys. My girls don't care about the boys being close. However my boys will sometimes fight among themselves if the girls are too close. So I have 7 of my boys in a separate room. My single boy is in a room with the girls, but he has no one to fight with and seems relaxed being relatively close to them. Whereas he hates being anywhere near the boys.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I would just be very careful. Most of the "Caring for accidental litters" threads are from people who keep boys an girls and someone escaped, usually a girl getting in the boy's cage, or they had them out of the cage at the same time maybe during a cage cleaning and assumed it was quick enough for nothing to happen. But as long as you are ACTUALLY careful with boy/girl proofing each cage and not letting boys and girls out at the same time ever, the only thing you really should worry about is getting toes or noses bit through bars.

Have you considered neutering or spaying your rats? It's a good precaution if you plan to keep boys and girls together, plus the added benefit of they may be able to live together as a mix sexed group eventually. I really like having a mixed sex cage. I think they behave differently than same sex groups together. Plus seeing a little girl snuggling with a giant boy is very cute. :) Congrats on your new bubs!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts