Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally had my heart set on boys but now I'm not sure which sex I want. I know boys are more laid back while girls have lots of energy and I know girls tend to get tumors.
What are the pros and cons of health and personality between the two sexes?
If it gives you any insight, I would like to attempt training them in the adventures of shoulder ratting.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I have 2 girls and 4 boys, and each one is a different personality. My youngest boys are little balls of energy and are always going. None of my boys are lazy lap rats or cuddly, the only one close to cuddly is my girl Naydeen who will climb up on the bed and lay with me while she grooms herself. If you get girls and can afford it, spay them as soon as is safe, it prevents a lot of health issues. There are members on here with shoulder rats and some are girls, some are boys so I guess one gender isn't better suited than the other, It just depends on the rats personality

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Supposedly girls are better shoulder rats. I think it depends on personality. There are gender stereotypes but they don't always hold true.

More importantly is the issue of health. I can't take females problems. In a year, I've had vaginal bleeding from tumors and more tumors and more problems then I care to have. My three males have been perfectly healthy in comparison.

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Females mark too. I'm drizzled on more by females than I was by unfixed boys. Each rat is different though and it depends on the situation. After a year and a half, I'm not likely to be marked at all because we are one family and we are already together. I'm only marked when my girls get moody with me.

Marking is done for dominance, territory and safety. If there's no issue with these three there's no marking. It also helps if you have a rag or something you don't wash that you use to clean the dribble.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I originally had my heart set on boys but now I'm not sure which sex I want. I know boys are more laid back while girls have lots of energy and I know girls tend to get tumors.
If it gives you any insight, I would like to attempt training them in the adventures of shoulder ratting.
The big things you already mentioned. Pro vs. con can be seen differently by different people.

For example,

Girls:
Pro - more active
Con - more active

Boys - less active (more laid back)
Cons - less active (more laid back)

Tumors obviously has no pro. Spaying takes care of that, but has the con of price.

So it may come down to what you're looking for in a pet. "adventures of shoulder ratting" sounds like taking the rats outside? I suspect the "more laid back" of a male might be more beneficial in that, possibly more likely to hang out and stay with you vs. wanting to run around and explorer?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I've kept both access over the years abs seen a lot through shows and the like. Here's the trends I've seen

health
first of its important to know that boys on average live a few months less than girls (backed up by scientific research as well as personal experience). When they get I'll the issues are less likley to be fixable. They tend to suffer from kidney and heart issues as well as hld. Generally degenerative disorders where the most you can do as an owner is manage the symptoms and slow the progression. They are less likley to get mammary tumours and pts than girls but still get them. They ate more prone to becoming over weight and harder to keep in perfect condition but it's more rewarding when you get it right. castrating around 6 months can help extend lifespan (testosterone is not great for long term health).

On the other hand girls might live longer but they ate quite heavily prone to benign mammary tumours. These are usesually fixable but are more expensive. They also can get pyo fairly commonly which is another expensive surgical procedure to fix. spaying young can help reduce the risk of tumours but doesn't remove it. They can't get pyo when spayed. They do lose a little of there insanity abs sparkle sometimes.

personality

this is harder to call. It depends on the rats, there genetic make up and how you raise them. boys do tend to settle down a little earlier but that doesn't mean they will be lap rats at all, it just means you have to work harder to keep then slim lol. One thing i have noticed is boys tend to be a little more reliant on there humans vs girls who are a little more independent. girls can be just as loving as boys they just don't need you in the same way.

i probably should add that boys are simpler creatures, more heirachically driven. This means that they can get more aggressive at intros or if there hormones go nuts, but also that generally they ate straightforward, unlike girls who often dislike a rat or person based on entirely random things and are very stubborn. If you know the rules with boys, handle them confidently and have a good strong rat alpha you rarely have trouble.

i currently keep boys (and have for a good while now) having kept girls for years in the past. i an planning on switching again at some point. Both are so wonderful you can't go far wrong.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have 5 boys and I love them however I really do not think the gender stereotypes about personality are true. Rats really are individuals in every way. Three of my boys are extremely active. They love their wheel and choose to explore instead of giving me cuddles 80% of the time (attributes commonly associated with females). On the other hand I also have an older boy (2 years old) who is a total squish. He is very mellow and enjoys lounging around and getting his head scratched - classic lazy senior. I decided on males this time around because just like nanashi, I did not want to deal with the tumors and health issues prone to girls. Certainly you can negate some of the health risks by picking pups with proven 'healthy' genes but it is still something you will have to deal with at some point. Boys do tend to be more prone to becoming overweight but I feel they are also more food motivated which works well for clicker training and other reward based training. If there is a cheerio hanging in the balance, 4 out of my 5 boys will perform circus tricks to get it! I just try to give them a physically stimulating environment and wheel access to keep them fit and lean.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Girls are more active, but neither gender is more "cuddly" per say... It's an individual thing. My girls smell worse than my boys... They mark more.
I have only had my 6 for a little under 1 year, so I can't comment on health yet. I have 3m/3f and the 3f and 1m are siblings, so it will be interesting to see what happens health wise (from a genetic standpoint).

I think the females' antics are more fun to watch, if that matters to you. They tend to move around their cage more and manipulate their environment more. One thing to note... The girls seem to be more hard-core when it comes to chewing and trying to escape. I have the boys in a cage with a plastic pan and would never do that with the girls.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I felt very confused on which sex to get when i decided I wanted rats. I read all I could on boys vs girls. I couldn't decide because each one had their own pros and cons. You have to think, with each pro and con in mind, what is more important to you. I personally wanted females. But, I have a young child to keep in mind. Besides the scent marking etc, the most important thing I based my decision on, was that boys are 'generally more timid and cuddly'. But, the fact is, each rat is individual. I have two precious boys, who are so different to each other! One being cuddly, all over us (even to a stranger) and the other skittish and wary. Worlds apart. So, what ever sex you decide to get, you will love them, bond and never regret getting them. Rats are amazing little individual packages!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.