Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rat is not feeling well since september, symptomes are: porphyrin, weakness, falling rearwards when trying to wash face, can't hold food in paws, can't stick out tongue properly, claws are grown big because she is not gnawing them, tail is always stretched and crooked. Veterinarian also noticed that her left eye's pupil is not moving. I can record a video of it's necessary.
I carried her to vets a lot and have treatment history with me. One of vets didn't diagnose her at all at the first time, and then gave too big amount of dexamethasone (~0.4mg 5 days) which is dangerous for rats. Other one (neurologist) did actually help my rat, he said that it is probably stroke or brain tumor (she felt better, but then relapse was), but i don't know anything about drugs he gave.
I wanted to know how do i determine should i trust a veterinarian or not. I am going to go to another veterinary clinic which is in recommended list in one russian rat community, but i still want to know how can i trust a particular veterinarian, and maybe some people here will be able to advise me.
1,5 years, female rat, Lithuania.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
from what you've described it sounds a lot like a brain tumour. strokes tend to be sudden onset then gradual improvement maybe with very sudden relapses. a gradual worsening with occasionally better periods (especially on dex) is usually a tumour. Their isn't a fix for this though sterouds (dex injection followed by tablets of predinise works well) improves the symptoms for a while. Unfortunately it's more about managing the symptoms and keeping the rat happy until it goes to far then putting to sleep. i wish i could tell you a better option but it sounds fairly advanced. Hugs i hope you get better news from the vet

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from what you've described it sounds a lot like a brain tumour. strokes tend to be sudden onset then gradual improvement maybe with very sudden relapses. a gradual worsening with occasionally better periods (especially on dex) is usually a tumour. Their isn't a fix for this though sterouds (dex injection followed by tablets of predinise works well) improves the symptoms for a while. Unfortunately it's more about managing the symptoms and keeping the rat happy until it goes to far then putting to sleep. i wish i could tell you a better option but it sounds fairly advanced. Hugs i hope you get better news from the vet
seems like no veterinary clinics work during holidays. Is there place i can find out about medicating brain tumor? I don't have any drugs right now except Cerebrum NM, which is not so effective.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
There's really only dex and predinose I've come across for medicating brain tumours and i will be honest i tend to put to sleep sonnet than later worth these as rats left too long do suffer. In theory you could use a none steroidal anti inflammatory which would be less effective but if you can't get steroids is an option that's easy to find (kids ibuprofen suspension is one). Just bear in mind that you can't give it within 24 hours of steroids

1 - 4 of 4 Posts