Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so thing is I want to get a rat, but I don't have a cage or anything. Is it good to just go to petsmart or petco and just vuy a cage I think is big enough...or is there a special way to pick out a cage?
Again, I am completely brand new at this

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
firstly, you need to get a minimum of 2 rats... not one

enter the cage dimensions of the cage you are interested in buying on this & it will tell you if it is large enough or not

http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/information/guides/cagecalculator/

male rats end up bigger than females so don't go with the absolute smallest size you can get away with

The next thing I would advise is if you can afford a larger cage than what you need.... get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I say this because 99.9% of all rat owners end up adding to their numbers & end up having to spend double the money because of having to upgrade their cages.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bigger is better! Get the biggest cage in your price limit. Like A1APassion
said, you can't just get one rat. They'll be a lot happier. I'm in the process of getting a companion for my single rat ~ I think he'll be a lot happier,

·
Registered
974 Posts
Go for a ferret cage instead of the other cages out there. This typically gives enough room for at least 2 rats. Hampster cages and cages made for rats are just too small for most rats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool thanks
Ya I've been thinking about getting two, but I was just concerned with all the work, this being my first pet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Honestly, there isn't any additional work with getting two. You'll get twice the love from your little guys or girls because they will be happier with a playmate.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Completely agree. Trust me, your rat's personalities will come out much better with each other's company. It's great! I had one for a while and the difference in him since I got him two little buddies is awesome. And it's no more work than having one, less, in fact, because you don't have to spend AS MUCH time playing with them.

When you have one rat, you have to have an awful lot of free time so he or she doesn't feel lonely. And even then, he/she might! With two or more they just get on with their business!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts