Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just got 2 rats for my wife for her birthday, as our hamster recenly passed away. They're 2 girls with dumbo ears, and I brought them home yesterday. Got a brand new cage and everything, but am using the same type of bedding that I had left over from the hamster cage. They've been sneezing pretty regularly since I put them in the cage, but come to think of it, while I was setting up the cage, they were in the little travel box they came in, and weren't sneezing at all. My question is, should I try a different bedding? The type I'm using now is Carefresh Pet Bedding, which is a pulp-based product. It says it's safe for rats and other rodents, and is cedar and pine oil free. What should I do?

Also, one of the girls is very shy and has remained in the hideout since I put her in there. Should I force her out and hold her, or wait until she's comfortable and ventures out on her own?

Anyway, here are a couple shots of the cuties:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It could just be new home sneezes or the carefresh could be dusty. If they seem healthy besides just keep an eye on them.

As for the shy one, I'm assuming you got them from a pet store, so she may not have been handled very much, and they are still very new and need to settle in. Try to coax her out with treats and the like, but give her time, talk to her, etc.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm not of much help. but those are some GORGEOUS little girls you've got there.

·
Registered
359 Posts
hmmm... i never knew carefresh came in that color......but they are sooooooooooooooooooooooo cute!!! and i love that last picture!!! sry im not much help either....lol

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Awwww! They're so cute!

Rats do tend to sneeze when you bring them home. They need to get adjusted to the new smells. But regular Carefresh can be dusty (some people think it is, some people don't)... if they seem to be sneezing a lot, you might want to just take the Carefresh out and put down some fabric instead. Better safe than sorry!

As for your shy girl, just give her some time. She'll venture out and start exploring her cage. Once she gets more comfortable in the cage, offer her treats, and leave your hand in there for a while so she can sniff it and get used to it ^_^

·
Registered
928 Posts
awww so cute! is prob just new home sneezes, think of all the new and diffrent smells!as fot the shy one she should be ok once she settles in to her new home!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts