Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this site about two years ago when trying to find a home for a feeder rat that was 3 weeks old. I hated to give the little one up but I had snuck her into my college dorm and was keeping her a secret from roommate. I am proud to say that I found Binx a great home where she is happy and healthy. Long story short after having a few rough weeks I came home today to this beautiful little girl. My fiancé rescued her from a feeder bin, bought her a three story cage and set it up for me. I was so surprised when I walked in and I have fallen in love with her already. I don't know much about her. He was told that she was a few months old. I had asked him if there were boys in the cage with her and he said yes. So Ill be watching her closely for any signs of pregnancy. She has no name yet, so I am open to suggestions! She has already found a comfy spot nestled in my hair.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I would guess two months tops on age. Could be wrong she's super thin. Make sure to feed her protein rich snacks for a while.

In three weeks, if she isn't pregnant I would get her a friend as rats do best in pairs :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
She's a cute lil girl.

Ditto on she looks very young, and quite thin.

Be careful on her nutrition as you put healthy weight on her, lots of good resources on rat diet here--commercial mixes often aren't great.

When you do get her a friend (and that will be wonderful for her), make sure the gender is accurate, if you go to a pet store again--pet stores, among other evils, are notoriously unreliable on sexing animals and separating by sex.

Also make sure to quarantine her new friend for a couple weeks, to make sure nothing contagious gets brought in upon her.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I went to the grocery store as well as the pet store and stock piled a bunch of healthy yet yummy special snacks with her. My fiancé who was not a rat person before lets her roam around the bed and crawl all over him. We are currently looking for the right friend for her. I heard of hoarding situation in which 300 rats were taken so I am in touch with the organization who is fostering a lot of them, I hope I can get one of those cute little guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts