Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back when I was about 14 I really wanted rats. I did so much research on the subject or housing rats that my little teenage mind was certain I was an expert. My enthusiasm was all for not, however because my mom refused to let me have rats. Rabbit? Sure. Hamster? Begrudgingly sure. But never a rat. Ten years passed and I wouldn't say I ever really stopped loving rats, I just became so accustomed to having other rodents like hamsters that I didn't have much time to think about rats. That changed about three days ago.

I went to this new pet store in my town to look at female syrian hamsters. It is getting increasingly hard from where I live to find reputable breeders, so eh. Anyway, there was an absolutely adorable one there, but my eyes kept drifting to the 'feeder' tank. Well, tanks. There were about 7 tanks crammed full of all different sized rats. The tanks couldn't have been bigger than 10 gallons. I tried to keep my mind on the hamster, but I couldn't stop looking away from the lady feeding the rats. She was picking them up by the tails when they neared the top of the tank! Even I, with my days of obsessively looking up things about rats long gone, knew that was awful! She even dropped TWO!

At this point I was determined to leave and not give this pet store my business. But as I was leaving I saw two little ratties in a cardboard box near the cash register. I didn't like the woman, but curiosity getting the better of me I had to ask why they were here. She told me someone had bought them as feeders for a pet snake and was at the commons next door and would return in a few minutes.

I bent down to look at the rats inside, two white coated, red eyes little thing. I find out later they are boys. One with dingier white fur tried his best to get my attention, at least that's how I saw it. He stood up and his little eyes called to me. The other thing was more or less indifferent.

Well, I had a spare rabbit cage I bought from critter nation and in that moment I made a split of the second decision. I don't know why or even remember telling the store owner, but I told her I'd take these two guys.

"But someone already bought them!" she told me as if I were stupid.

"To feed to a snake." I responded and said something along the lines of "I'm sure he won't mind if I take these two given you are over run with rats."

I think this peeved her off, but regardless I got the rats!

There cage still needs to have things added to it, and they are still very much fearful of me, but the dingy white one who I call Ron (and who unknowingly saved his own life and his friend's) is coming along rather fast, while the more snowy white one who I named Harry is braver but more standoffish.

tl;dr

Name's Bianca and I am 24.
New rat owner and proud!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome, Bianca!

I'm the recent caretaker of a lonely ratty I was recently given and tomorrow I'm getting some lab rat babies that otherwise will be euthanized this friday. So far my girl has amazed me to no end and I'm expecting her to get even brighter when she finally has friends!

Congratulations on your new rat! I really hope you 3 get along really well. I am sure glad that Ron convinced you to save them!

·
Registered
11 Posts
So glad you were able to save them! You will have so much fun with them! I too am a recent new rat owner! Learn new things every day!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts