Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was so excited about this occurrence that I just had to share. My little boy Biscuit is one of the first three rats that I've ever had. He's always been a little shy, but super gentle. Even his trip to the vet a few months ago went along great; he squeaked and squealed a lot when being examined, but never showed any aggression, or tried to bite from fear. He's been so slowly opening up to me since I've gotten him; it was lately at the point where he was coming when called, and comfortable with being picked up and riding around on my shoulder. And then this happened:
Today I went to let one of my two groups of boys out for free range time, and Biscuit was curled up on one of the hammocks. I reached into the cage to scritch his ears (something I do often with him to help him feel comfortable with being touched by people). He yawned and turned his head, then suddenly grabbed my finger and started grooming me! He was so super sweet and gentle with it too, he even nibbled off my hang nails and tried to groom over a callus on my knuckle; he didn't stop until three of my fingers were clean. It really surprised me, to be honest. I was thinking that he was just going to be a rat that didn't do that kind of thing, but he really proved me wrong today.
I guess this just goes to show that with patience and constant work, even the shyest ratty can come out of his shell and show you love. ;)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
That's great. I love it when they are so sweet

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just reminds me of my little Neera. <3 An absolute sweetie, even to strangers, but she's absolutely terrified of being pet and held. She'll lick anyone to death though. She even licked the vet! XD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts