Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older girl, around 2 now, who is breathing heavily. Some experience with rats makes me think it is pneumonia since it came on so fast but luckily I had some amoxy drops I was using to treat another of my rats who was pretty huffy too. She has some symptoms of pneumonia but is otherwise acting her regular self. Losing weight, her hair is bristly, and her tail is cool to the touch but she eats and drinks plenty and is absolutely not lethargic. I've been keeping her on my bed alot over the last few days and she still loves to go exploring under the blankets. We are on full day three of meds so I won't know if it is working or not but I was wanting to know if anyone else thinks it is what I'm thinking or maybe something else.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So almost 100 views and no advice or anything...? I've been feeding her some almonds and macadamias to try to get some fat in her. She has been sipping some powerade out of a bottle cap since I think she is getting a little dehydrated. No improvement on the meds but it is still too soon, I think.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had my rat, Remy, for awhile now. He's about 20 months, so he's getting up there in age. I'm not sure if you saw my previous topics, but I had an incident with him choking. He then seemed to be in extreme respiratory distress. He was breathing very heavily and he was lethargic. The vet thought he aspirated some of the food, and that his airways are inflamed. He's on antibiotics and benebac. It's going to be his second day today and the congested, grunting noise he made has been starting to clear up and he's doing much better! But the noise isn't completely gone. I don't expect it to be right away. I would say that it may be too early to determine right now, and that maybe you should keep observing her each day to see if she has improved even the slightest bit. When Remy wasn't drinking I gave him some gatorade, almost exactly like powerade. I'm not sure if the tent test is doen on rats (I only have tent test experience with hamsters), but have you tried it? It could be that she has other problems going on. I think I remember reading abotu hwo they can lose weight when they age, but I didn't think it would be suddenly. If she doesn't improve I would say that even though she is on meds maybe a visit to the vet would help for some extra information on what is really going on. I hope all goes well and your little girlie improves. <3

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would also say another trip to the vet is probably a good idea. She might need a different antibiotic, a combination of antibiotics or something else entirely. For example, heart disease also has very similar symptoms to respiratory illness. As far as the weight loss, when my 2.5 year old girl started to lose weight my vet gave me some powdered rat formula as she became reluctant to eat solid foods. (Possibly due to her labored breathing but she wasn't lethargic either.) It was from oxbow, two parts critical care (herbivore) and one part carnivore. She wasn't big on the taste but I mixed it with a bit of baby cereal and she loved it. Started to put on more weight and was no longer dehydrated.
Good luck and I hope she improves quickly!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts