Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little Louise, who is only about a year old has been having breathing issues lately. She eats and drinks fine, but she is a little on the thinner side, in my opinion.
She seems to breathe very hard, and is using her sides to breathe and she breathes very fast. You can also hear her breathing, too. From across the room you can her her making a raspy clicking sound while she's going to sleep, this is when it's the loudest. When we have her out she moves pretty slow, but she seems to get around fine, jumping, hopping, running, she just in general moves slower than my other rats. And when you put her up to your hear or she's close to you or on your shoulder, you can hear her breathing. It's not as loud as when she's going to sleep, but it's always either raspy or kind of squeaky. She never sneezes, and both of my other rats seem to be in perfect health and don't have any issues with their breathing. I'm guessing that this is some sort of respiratory problem and I'm calling my vet tomorrow to set up an appointment to have her checked on.
I'm just wondering if anyone had any idea of what this is and/or how much medicine could potentially cost.
My rats are going to be my main priority, but I'm also just wondering how much this is going to hurt the bank, especially right before christmas.

So, any thoughts, ideas, or opinions on this?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, when she's sleeping her head sort of bobs up and down when she breathes, this is with the clicking sound.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sounds like she has a respiratory infection which would need antibiotics. You can try giving her dark chocolate for now to help, but I'd get her to a vet stat.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm going to call the vet tomorrow, hopefully they can get me in this weekend. How much do antibiotics usually cost?

I just found this video on youtube, and this is what she does a lot when she's about to go to sleep. She does it when she's not going to sleep, but sleepy time is when I see her doing this the most. I didn't know that this was coughing. Just about the first 10-20 secs of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg06dG0LUW0

·
Registered
119 Posts
In Canada the appointment is generally $100 and antibiotics can be around $30. It sounds like an RI that will clear up easily with antibiotics!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I'd request baytril and doxy, or failing that baytril and amoxicillin (some vets wont prescribe baytril and doxy together as they believe they invalidate each other when actually they work well together). I would definitely push for a combo though, as generally baytril or one of the others alone wont cut it.

You can get antibiotics online in the states, though I'm not sure exactly where, here in the UK its a no goer. For us it typically costs me about £25 for a consult and £10 for a cheap antibiotic combo, and £20 for a combo with amoxicillin tablets (as there a bit more expensive over here at the moment)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts