Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while looking for a breeder once again I found one that somehow had never appeared on my google search even though it says they've been around since 2011 and I just want your guy's opinion if you think they'd be good to adopt from based on what they've said.
http://emeraldcityrattery.com/

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
It depends on what your street in a breeder. There's some of my fundamentals there, small nunnery of adults and litters each year. Nice adult cages. feed a reasonable homes made mix though i wouldn't feed raw peanuts and her ideas of food that aren't suitable for rats are pretty rubbish (cabbage is one of the best rat veg out there and mushrooms are very useful too). i wouldn't ever get rats from a breeder that homes at 5 weeks though. To me they are still very much babies at this age and whilst they have been split access and possibly from mum by now it's very harsh to split them from all there siblings and thete familiar place at the same time add they lose there mum. However this is more normal in the Us. Here in the UK 6 or even better 7 weeks is considered the right age to home babies from.

i also am quite twitchy about having a litter tray for Christmas. We purposefully time or litters to be ready after Christmas to avoid impulse purchases

·
Registered
908 Posts
They look good to me. They keep their website updated, which is important. They keep a small number of adults too. The fact that they mention adult adoption is a good point for me... Other good breeders (cats, dogs, etc.) sometimes use the practice to adopt out those that won't be bred again so that they can have more attention in a pet only home. This also allows the breeder to keep a smaller number of rats and raise up more potential offspring.

I like the adults' cage setup too.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@isamurat
I somewhat agree with the impulse buying part but usually impulse buyers are new to a creature and buy them just because they look cute. I don't think an impulse buyer would be buying from a breeder I think they'd stick to petshops.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts