Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so officially I'm done buying from pet stores. I bought from a petco where I realized a rat was sick, and it died after just two weeks of having it. Now I think my other chocolate hoodie has it to (The little click sound. Cute, but bad news for the rat). Obviously this time I'm not going to wait it out and I'm getting him to the vet as soon as possible.

In the mean time, I live in California and need to find a breeder. There's just so many pet stores so close to me and it's so easy to go in and get a rat. However, I'm making a vow to only get from a breeder from this point on.

I'm looking for a breeder near me (Around LA area) but haven't found any breeders that are either A. still breeding or B. close enough to me. My question, anyone want to help? Within one or two hours of LA is good news for me, especially if they have any litters 3 weeks+, seeing as I can be patient. ;)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Has the little one gone to a vet?

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Did you try ratster.com? Its a bit out of date but it might help. You can always contact a breeder who doesn't any longer and see if they know of someone.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you'll look at your other post, I've given you quite a list of rat breeders and even a mouse breeder. The mouse breeder is actually in the same town as you. I just found it in a simple google search. Th furthest rat breeder I mentioned is just under 3, but the closest is less than an hour.

Definately check out each breeder before you deal with them. Make sure they are breeding correctly. It takes more than just deciding if two rats are healthy and would make a good pair. They should be able to calculate what the babies will look like, screen adopters, not sell to petstores, etc. Don't be afraid to ask them questions. They shouldn't be upset about having to answer them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forensic said:
Has the little one gone to a vet?
I have an appointment this week to get him checked out. I'm hoping it's temporary (doubt it) because it's quite a costly vet bill!

On the topic of breeders I've found two in my area that I have contacted. Thanks to everyone who's helped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts