Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I e-mailed a breeder yesterday and they havent e-mailed me back. Im just wondering if i can find a breeder to get 2 female rats by Christmas..!!!

I really need to find one by Christmas.

How did you find your breeder? Was it by phone, internet, etc.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The breeder you emailed yesterday simply may not have checked their email yet, or hasn't had time to reply. I can relate: when you're excited about something, you want instant feedback, and being patient it hard... but it can pay off in the end.

That said, a quick google search came up with this list of rodent breeders in Utah: http://www.altpet.net/rodents/UT.shtml .

I know nothing about these breeders or their practices, but it's a start.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Something is wrong with the website. The internet cannnot display the webpage. I will look harder on the internet. Thanks tho :D

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The better breeders often have waiting lists, so you may not get your rats before Christmas. They may not have any planned breedings, or all current litters may be spoken for. Also, it's the holidays, so I wouldn't expect an answer right away - a lot of people are probably traveling this week.

Are you willing to travel if need be? Also, have you considered rescue or shelter rats, if there are any in your area?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
You cannot bet on a breeder having rats available exactly at Christmas. You may have to wait a little longer.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
eh, I have emailed breeders from as far back as a year ago & never heard back from them.

The ones that I did here from said they had waiting lists that could put me waiting as long as a year or more.

If you are going to go the route of a breeder you can plan on waiting because they have waiting lists & they don't breed to satisfy their lists.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I e-mailed a local breeder and she hasn't replied back to me either, and it's been 2 weeks! Though her website was last updated about 3 weeks ago so I'm being impatiently patient and hoping she'll message me back in the next two weeks. If not, I will go with a rescue, which is a great option too (and if you really want rats by Christmas, that's probably the route you will have to take).

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i would like to get them by Christmas. But if i dont find a breeder or shelter my last option will be a Pet store. "oh no not the pet store" What risks are with the pet store rats?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Pet store rats can be:

Unsocialized
Ill
Aggressive
Hurt
Pregnant (if female)
Full of bad genetics....

Course, they're also cute and many are friendly...

But I'd say rescue or breeder if you can.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
i got ozzy and hyper from a pet store and no complaints so far, then if we all bought from breeders it would really be the pet store animals that need saving, because atleast with breeders they get proper food, care and love, they dont at pet stores, i feel sorry for them, im never buying from a breeder when i could save an innocent life like that

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok if my last results are pet stores, what can i LOOK FOR TO SEE IF THE RATS ARE SICK?

AND TO SEE WHAT ONES ARE THE HEALTHIEST?

·
Registered
137 Posts
rat_ratscal said:
i got ozzy and hyper from a pet store and no complaints so far, then if we all bought from breeders it would really be the pet store animals that need saving, because atleast with breeders they get proper food, care and love, they dont at pet stores, i feel sorry for them, im never buying from a breeder when i could save an innocent life like that
Maybe... but the problem with buying any animal from a pet store that doesn't take proper care of their animals is that once you buy it, they'll just replace it with another. So really, you're just compounding the problem... spreading that bad care to more rats. If you really want to be effective, maybe asking to speak with the manager and telling them that you were in his/her store today to purchase a pet rat, but you will not be supporting his store due to the way the rats are kept would be more effective at helping ratkind in the long run.

Tell them exactly what is wrong with the care the rats are getting, and then speak the loudest you can to any retail store: with your wallet. Walk out and don't buy anything form that store ever again.

If you really want to save a pet and make a difference, give a rat from a shelter/rescue a chance... give a little rattie the best Christmas present you can: a new loving home.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
-clear noses and eyes (no discharge and eyes shouldnt be cloudy)
-no missing fur
-no blood (obviously)
-not housed in a cage with opposite sex
-not anorexic
-not obese
-shouldnt run and hide when you come near enclosure
-should be alert, curious, and friendly towards cagemates (of course there will be the little fights here and there, but that's normal behaviour)
-it would be best if they werent fed seed mix
-should be atleast 5 weeks old, 6-8 weeks prefferably
-should be no obvious health comditions showing

you should ask if you can hold them and see their bellies (to check for missing fur) if s/he says no it's probably not best to buy there, the staff should be friendly and knowledgable, where i got my rats from the woman who served us owned rats and they came vet checked with a health garantee

just use your better judgement, im sure you will make a good choice because i bet you've done your research

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes i have done my research, trust me ive done alot, but more the better :D

Yes the closest pet store to me is petco. They dont feed them seed mix, they feed them lab blocks. And their rats are friendly :D

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I got my girls from PetCo. They were badly under-socialized, but naturally sweet enough to come around with hand feeding. And now they're just friendly little darlings!

I know how it's bad to think you're rescuing pet store rats, because another one will just come take it's place. But at the same time, I find it hard to feel too bad that my girlies didn't end up as snake food! So go for a rescue if at all possible (or check Craigslist for ratties that need help), or a breeder, but if it does end up being pet store rats, don't feel to bad about it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok thanks, Ive had pet store rats before, she didnt live that long :cry: Thats why im nervous about pet store rats.
But she was the sweetiest little thing ever. :D

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Petco is notorious for selling pregnant rats. And hamsters (I ended up with 5 for the price of 1... And that wasn't a good thing, as they all lived short lives and died painful deaths from diseases related to bad genetics). And, actually, many of the animals they sell. :\

Also, be aware that just because they seem healthy means nothing. Out of the 4 rats I've had from pet stores, 3 are dead (and shouldn't be, or at least, shouldn't have been for so long now) and all three had what appeared to be Chronic Heart Failure or Cardiomyopathy. The last of the 4 is now showing the same signs. There is no way to tell is this is something you'll have to deal with just by checking the rats out at a pet store. Especially one such as Petco, who - most stores, anyway - is notorious for selling mill animals that are sick and pregnant.

There are a LOT of rescue rats out there. There are a lot that are willing to travel. You didn't answer my question... How far are you able to travel?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts